Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

applying excitation using impedance boundary condition in ac/dc module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading my thread. I am currently trying to simulate 3D electromagnetic structures carrying high frequency current. The skin depth is much smaller than the actual conductor size, so I decided to use the impedance boundary condition. I started from learning the inductor 3d model in the model gallery and had success in applying the excitation using the lumped port for structures with two terminals close by.

However, for structures with two terminals at each end of the structure, is it possible to still apply the lumped port? In this case, I would have to create an air box across the entire structure. Or are there any other ways to apply the excitation?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 Reply Last Post 13 gen 2016, 10:28 GMT-5
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 13 gen 2016, 10:28 GMT-5
Hi,

In inductor_3d model (www.comsol.com/model/modeling-of-a-3d-inductor-10299), the coil is forming a close loop with either via Lumped Port (in case of Impedance Boundary Condition) or Magnetic Insulation (when used as a Single Turn Coil).
But for the other two examples listed below, the current return path is provided by the "Magnetic Insulation" (outer boundary) condition. It is also possible to use the Lumped Port in this type of coils touching the external boundaries on both ends as demonstrated in the attached model.
1. www.comsol.com/model/integrated-square-shaped-spiral-inductor-129
2. www.comsol.com/model/inductance-of-a-power-inductor-1250

Note that the attached model is setup for time dependent study, but will support the same setup for frequency domain, just need to change the Lumped Port current.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, In inductor_3d model (http://www.comsol.com/model/modeling-of-a-3d-inductor-10299), the coil is forming a close loop with either via Lumped Port (in case of Impedance Boundary Condition) or Magnetic Insulation (when used as a Single Turn Coil). But for the other two examples listed below, the current return path is provided by the "Magnetic Insulation" (outer boundary) condition. It is also possible to use the Lumped Port in this type of coils touching the external boundaries on both ends as demonstrated in the attached model. 1. http://www.comsol.com/model/integrated-square-shaped-spiral-inductor-129 2. http://www.comsol.com/model/inductance-of-a-power-inductor-1250 Note that the attached model is setup for time dependent study, but will support the same setup for frequency domain, just need to change the Lumped Port current. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.