Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Where to write notes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, it comes up often enough that I'd like to write notes and save them with the COMSOL input file: could be small comments associated with a variable, or maybe a slightly longer (TeX ?!) file with some maths, some preliminary figures, etc.

As far as I know there is nothing for this in the COMSOL file except in the short "description paragraph" on the opening page. Anywhere else?

Any other formulations that people use?

Thanks, John

3 Replies Last Post 19 gen 2016, 14:59 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 19 gen 2016, 08:02 GMT-5
Hi.

If you right-click on a feature in the model tree to see the context menu, you will find 'Properties'. Select it and you will find a box for entering free text for each node in the tree.

You can also bring up the Properties tab from 'Windows' on the ribbon.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi. If you right-click on a feature in the model tree to see the context menu, you will find 'Properties'. Select it and you will find a box for entering free text for each node in the tree. You can also bring up the Properties tab from 'Windows' on the ribbon. Regards, Henrik

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 19 gen 2016, 10:10 GMT-5
Hi,

Another way of documenting your model: Add a Custom Report under Results->Reports.

This will not give a documentation directly visible on the node in the model tree, but it offers more flexibility in terms of formatting (LaTex, figures etc.).

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Another way of documenting your model: Add a Custom Report under Results->Reports. This will not give a documentation directly visible on the node in the model tree, but it offers more flexibility in terms of formatting (LaTex, figures etc.). Regards, Henrik

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 19 gen 2016, 14:59 GMT-5
Hi

I agree with John that often it could be handy to be able to add a few more notes here and there, or even have a "comment" wildcard, such that in any equation field whatever comes after such a comment wildcard is disregarded by the COMSOL parses, but could be kept for comments or just an alternative equation one want to temporary change.

But this would ask for more overhead by the COMSOL equation parser, so probably its another chronophage (that's probably a pure French word ;) that could not be easily implemented.

For my workaround for equations is to surround the old equation by a +0*(...) and hope the parser is good enough to ignore the rest and not to include it all into the solver sequence.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I agree with John that often it could be handy to be able to add a few more notes here and there, or even have a "comment" wildcard, such that in any equation field whatever comes after such a comment wildcard is disregarded by the COMSOL parses, but could be kept for comments or just an alternative equation one want to temporary change. But this would ask for more overhead by the COMSOL equation parser, so probably its another chronophage (that's probably a pure French word ;) that could not be easily implemented. For my workaround for equations is to surround the old equation by a +0*(...) and hope the parser is good enough to ignore the rest and not to include it all into the solver sequence. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.