Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Helix with a non-circular cross-section

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I'm working with designing spiral microfluidics channels that radiate outwards, with the Radius Of Curvature changing over time, ideally every 180 degree turn of the channel or maybe with a constant change in ROC. The helix tool is useful if the channel cross-section is a perfect circle, I can make as many turns I want with one geometry command, however if I want a rectangular or trapezoidal cross-sectional channel it seems I'm stuck with using a work plane to draw my cross-section geometry, then revolving that work plane. If I want to do a channel that has multiple passes, I have to do several revolve commands, each starting from the end surface of the previous and increasing the revolution axis to make larger spiral channel.

Is there a way to combine the two features, like use the spiral command with a specific cross-section design? I'm think something like the sweep feature found in Solidworks, which requires a profile and a cross section shape and it just extrudes the shape along the path.

It's not really vital, I mean the revolve method isn't as tedious as what some of my partners and I were doing before I discovered the revolve command (make 2 concentric circles of different sizes, a rectangle that intersects half of their areas, then take a Boolean difference to cut out the parts I don't need. Very tedious). I'm just curious if I can optimize the geometry-making process even further.
Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post 22 feb 2016, 14:30 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 4 feb 2016, 08:27 GMT-5
Yes, you can create such a shape easily. The question was addressed for instance in these threads:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/76051
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/100241
Best regards,
Jeff
Yes, you can create such a shape easily. The question was addressed for instance in these threads: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/76051 http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/100241 Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 22 feb 2016, 14:30 GMT-5
Ah, thank you very much! Apologies for the late response.
Ah, thank you very much! Apologies for the late response.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.