Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Positron trapping and release (charged particle tracing + electrostatics). How to optimise?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was wondering if someone could give any insight on what are the best solver settings for my problem, in terms of solving time vs accuracy. Currently I'm using Strict generalised alpha settings to be safe, but I'm wondering if this is necessary or if there are quicker methods?

I have a 2D-axisymmetric simulation in which the solution of a time-dependent electrostatic study (time-varying electric potentials) is used for a charged particle tracing study.

I am simulating a positron plasma inside a trap and then dumping them by lowering an electric potential gate.

The positrons bounce harmonically between the trap potentials with a period on the order of 100's of nanoseconds, and my simulation is over a period of 8000 nanoseconds.

However, using strict generalised alpha settings, the solver often has a reciprocal time step of 10E12, causing solving time to be very long.

I'm hoping to find information on optimizing the solving time of simulations and how this can affect the accuracy of the simulation.

Thanks in advance for any input on this matter.

0 Replies Last Post 9 mar 2016, 10:53 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ben Marshall

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.