Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Global equation expected unit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

I'm using a global equation to drive a prescribed mesh rotation.

The equation I'm using is for angular velocity. It has the form

ut = x (a long expression, with units of rad/s, as ut. all variables/parameters are correct, I've triple checked)

In global equations I have the following:

name: u (plane angle)

f(u,ut,utt): ut - x

initial value (u_0): rot_0 (parameter defining initial rotation

initial value (ut_0): 0

Dependent variable quantity: plane angle (rad)

Source term quantity: plane angle (rad)

The equation is in orange and the mouse-over tool-tip says "deduced unit is [1/s], expected is [1]"

Given that the equation is for the angular velocity, was does it not expect [1/s]? I can't see any syntax errors, and it seems logical to me that if the units of 'u' are [rad], then COMSOL knows that the units of 'ut' are [rad/s].

I've tried changing the dependent variable and source term units to angular velocity, but this doesn't help.

I feel like the solution is probably simple but I can't figure out how to fix it and the manual is no help at all. Any guidance welcome.

0 Replies Last Post 23 mar 2016, 20:57 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hugh Marman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.