Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact pairs or simply boolean union??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

My model involves vibrating a component via a clamp that it is attached to. My question is, do I need to define contact pairs for the surfaces of the clamp and component that are touching? All I want is to know that the component is rigidly bonded or attached to the clamp. How can I verify this rigid attachment?

Your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 18 nov 2010, 18:08 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 nov 2010, 04:10 GMT-5
Contact pairs are used to ensure that two surfaces that come into contact do not penetrate each other. So my answer would be yes...

This is done by definitions>contact pair....the source boundaries are the rigid parts of clamp, destination boundaries the component.Then you have to add contact pairs in the physics part.

having said that I had to deal with contact pairs a while ago and found them diificult to implement correctly. Could you get back to me if you manage to do this?

Hope this helps,

Chris
Contact pairs are used to ensure that two surfaces that come into contact do not penetrate each other. So my answer would be yes... This is done by definitions>contact pair....the source boundaries are the rigid parts of clamp, destination boundaries the component.Then you have to add contact pairs in the physics part. having said that I had to deal with contact pairs a while ago and found them diificult to implement correctly. Could you get back to me if you manage to do this? Hope this helps, Chris

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 nov 2010, 18:08 GMT-5
Thanks Chris, I will have a go and let you know if I succeed.

Cheers
Thanks Chris, I will have a go and let you know if I succeed. Cheers

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.