Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Assigning Different Material without Changing Mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone;

I want to assign a material for a very small domain within a large domain without changing the meshing. For instance let's say you have a very big solid cube of aluminum and you want a smaller golden cube within the bigger cube. To do that, I draw the cubes within each other, but meshing gets very intense on the regions where these two cubes intersect. I don't want that. I want a homogenous meshing across all domains. How can I do that? Any help is appreciated.

Best

mehmet

1 Reply Last Post 22 lug 2016, 10:55 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 22 lug 2016, 10:55 GMT-4
You can do it by giving the material properties as function of spatial dimensions. You can use logical operators to specify material properties such if(sqrt((x-xo)^2+(y-yo)^2)< r_particle, Mat_p, Mat_d) where, the xo, yo are the origin of particle of radius 'particle.
However, a sharp change in material properties can make solver convergence difficult.
You can do it by giving the material properties as function of spatial dimensions. You can use logical operators to specify material properties such if(sqrt((x-xo)^2+(y-yo)^2)< r_particle, Mat_p, Mat_d) where, the xo, yo are the origin of particle of radius 'particle. However, a sharp change in material properties can make solver convergence difficult.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.