Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PML or SBC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

i was working in a 2D microstructured fiber and some doubts become to appear, i hope someone can help me.

1 which one is better to not consider the the reflected waves just the incident in the configuration ?
2 When i try to implement the PML i just can select a domain, there's anyway to consider a boundary as a PML ?

4 Replies Last Post 27 set 2016, 15:57 GMT-4

Posted: 8 years ago 23 ago 2016, 03:32 GMT-4
Hello,

1. It's better to use PML, because it absorbs all the waves that are incident on it. SBC is transparent only for some kind of waves (see COMSOL Help for more info).

2. PML must have finite length, so it must be a domain, not a boundary. Practically I set it's length of order of a wavelength.
Hello, 1. It's better to use PML, because it absorbs all the waves that are incident on it. SBC is transparent only for some kind of waves (see COMSOL Help for more info). 2. PML must have finite length, so it must be a domain, not a boundary. Practically I set it's length of order of a wavelength.

Posted: 8 years ago 29 ago 2016, 15:27 GMT-4
Thanks for the help

I have another question maybe you can help me again, I can use PML when i studyng mode analysis ?
I try to set a pml in a domain arround my configuration and when a try to compute an error occur.

" Error in multiphysics compilation.
- Feature: Compile Equations: Mode Analysis (sol1/st1) "

Best Regards

Master student Markos Paulo cardoso
Thanks for the help I have another question maybe you can help me again, I can use PML when i studyng mode analysis ? I try to set a pml in a domain arround my configuration and when a try to compute an error occur. " Error in multiphysics compilation. - Feature: Compile Equations: Mode Analysis (sol1/st1) " Best Regards Master student Markos Paulo cardoso

Posted: 8 years ago 30 ago 2016, 03:37 GMT-4
Hi,

yes, you can use PML in Mode Analysis.

There may be many reasons for your error. I can only advise you to check your model. Check if the type of PML corresponds to your geometry (it can be cartesian, cylindrical, spherical). Check all the fields in mode analysis study.

Good luck!
Hi, yes, you can use PML in Mode Analysis. There may be many reasons for your error. I can only advise you to check your model. Check if the type of PML corresponds to your geometry (it can be cartesian, cylindrical, spherical). Check all the fields in mode analysis study. Good luck!

Posted: 8 years ago 27 set 2016, 15:57 GMT-4
Thanks for the help, i get those results

Best Regards
Thanks for the help, i get those results Best Regards