Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can we use Optimization for time dependent problems in Comsol 4.1??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Is it possible to use Optimization Lab for time dependent problems in Comsol 4.1? If yes, is there any example in comsol?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best Regards

Qasim

5 Replies Last Post 26 mar 2011, 05:37 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Qasim Ali Chaudhry

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 mar 2011, 23:58 GMT-4
I have the same question about V4.1 and 4.0a. I 'll be thankful if someone can help me.
I have the same question about V4.1 and 4.0a. I 'll be thankful if someone can help me.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2011, 10:58 GMT-4
Me too, I also have the same question.
Thanks.
XLi
Me too, I also have the same question. Thanks. XLi

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2011, 13:04 GMT-4
Hello,

What I have understood (by working in Comsol 3.5 and 4.1, and by Comsol Support) is that:

The optimization interface does not work on time dependent models in comsol, only for stationary problems. The only thing which you can do is to use parametric analysis. In COMSOL 3.5a you can do parameter analysis of only one parameter at the time but in COMSOL 4.1, we can do for many parameters together.

Best Regards

Qasim

Hello, What I have understood (by working in Comsol 3.5 and 4.1, and by Comsol Support) is that: The optimization interface does not work on time dependent models in comsol, only for stationary problems. The only thing which you can do is to use parametric analysis. In COMSOL 3.5a you can do parameter analysis of only one parameter at the time but in COMSOL 4.1, we can do for many parameters together. Best Regards Qasim

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2011, 17:26 GMT-4
Hi Qasim,
Do you mean I should assume several optimised values for the control variable and solve the time dependent solver for each of them and then manually tune the control variable to reach to the optimum value.
If this is the case I think it would be a difficult job. There should be a simpler solution.
I want to find an optimum value for one of the physical properties in my domain based on the experiments results for the objective function. This physical property which is my control variable is constant through time but the main physics is time dependent. In my opinion it should be a classic optimization case and I don't know why I can't implement software to find the results. I defined error function as the time integral of the objective function error corresponding to the experimental results.
I 'm wondering if you know any example which is similar to the problem, I explained?
Thanks
Atieh
Hi Qasim, Do you mean I should assume several optimised values for the control variable and solve the time dependent solver for each of them and then manually tune the control variable to reach to the optimum value. If this is the case I think it would be a difficult job. There should be a simpler solution. I want to find an optimum value for one of the physical properties in my domain based on the experiments results for the objective function. This physical property which is my control variable is constant through time but the main physics is time dependent. In my opinion it should be a classic optimization case and I don't know why I can't implement software to find the results. I defined error function as the time integral of the objective function error corresponding to the experimental results. I 'm wondering if you know any example which is similar to the problem, I explained? Thanks Atieh

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2011, 05:37 GMT-4
Dear Atieh,

I agree with you but it is pity that (I think) this feature is not available in comsol. For the parameterization jobs and sweep analysis, I would recommend the elbow bracket in the Structural mechanics module. May be you get something useful.

Best Regards

Qasim
Dear Atieh, I agree with you but it is pity that (I think) this feature is not available in comsol. For the parameterization jobs and sweep analysis, I would recommend the elbow bracket in the Structural mechanics module. May be you get something useful. Best Regards Qasim

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.