Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Driven oscillators at mili Kelvin temperatures

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have modelled the resonance frequencies of a 3D silicon cantilever (140 x 5 x 0.1 um) with a magnetic sphere (NdFeB, 3.43 um diameter) attached at one of its ends, while I keep the other end fixed. I used physics: Solid Mechanics --> study: eigenfrequencies. See attachement for an impression.

The resonance frequencies correspond well with the resonance frequencies I found in my experiment.

I really would like to drive the cantilever now on one of its resonance frequencies and see what the actual displacement is of my cantilever. I know Q from experiment and I know the amplitude of the force (I drive the cantilever with a piezo element), but I am really struggling with implementing this in COMSOL… I even could not figure out which proper study I need for this problem (frequency domain, time dependent, etc?), I worked on this now for 2 days, no result…

Anyone experience with driving an oscillator in COMSOL? Any advice what to do would be welcome, I couldn’t find an answer on this forum/internet yet…

Thank you very much in advance!

1 Reply Last Post 19 set 2016, 04:18 GMT-4
Sarah Ji COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 19 set 2016, 04:18 GMT-4
Dear Karen,

You may refer to the example of Thickness Shear Mode Quartz Oscillator. I think it's quite similar to your case. Here is the model link:

www.comsol.com/model/thickness-shear-mode-quartz-oscillator-4707

Hope it helps.

Best
Sarah
Dear Karen, You may refer to the example of Thickness Shear Mode Quartz Oscillator. I think it's quite similar to your case. Here is the model link: https://www.comsol.com/model/thickness-shear-mode-quartz-oscillator-4707 Hope it helps. Best Sarah

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.