Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

maxm no. of newton's iterations reached & parametric solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Question about newton's iterations:

I keep getting the following error

Failed to find a solution.
Maximum number of Newton iterations reached.
Returned solution has not converged.

I am unable to locate where the solver is pulling up these Newton's iterations from. Can someone please guide me where to find the number for Newton's iteration? Also, any insight about why I am getting this error will also be very helpful.
----------------------------------------------------

Question about parametric solver:
I am wondering if there are any tutorials/examples that show me how to use the parametric solver. I am trying to use it along with a stationary solver because I am having convergence issues but I am not sure how to use it. For my problem when I choose to use the default solver, I get the iterative solver. So I am a little confused about how the parametric solver works. Should I be using it along with the iterative solver?

Thanks for the help.

Sirisha

PS: Happy New year to all!

10 Replies Last Post 29 apr 2016, 02:19 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 gen 2011, 02:59 GMT-5
Hi

check the doc, by a quick search I find in v4.1 p220 ch4 Solver Features Comsol Multiphysics Reference Guide pdf:

Further options that apply to one or several selections (as indicated at each bullet) made in the Termination technique list are:
• Maximum number of iterations (only available when Termination technique is set to Tolerance). Use this edit field to limit the number of Newton iterations. When the maximum number of iterations have been performed Newton’s method is terminated even if the tolerance is not fulfilled.

Anyhow if you hit this error its eiterh that the derivative isnot well defined, or that your initial condition (defaults = 0) are too far from a good guess. Perhaps a stationary solving and store + restart from there could help

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc, by a quick search I find in v4.1 p220 ch4 Solver Features Comsol Multiphysics Reference Guide pdf: Further options that apply to one or several selections (as indicated at each bullet) made in the Termination technique list are: • Maximum number of iterations (only available when Termination technique is set to Tolerance). Use this edit field to limit the number of Newton iterations. When the maximum number of iterations have been performed Newton’s method is terminated even if the tolerance is not fulfilled. Anyhow if you hit this error its eiterh that the derivative isnot well defined, or that your initial condition (defaults = 0) are too far from a good guess. Perhaps a stationary solving and store + restart from there could help -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 gen 2011, 15:10 GMT-5
Thanks Ivar! One more question about the newton's iterations: When I set the iterations to 5000, how is that the GMRES iteration value is showing 5870 and the solver is still running? Where is the solver getting this value from?

I am using a stationary solver and my problem uses a iterative/multigrid solver (that was the default option) and I see three lines in my progress window:
nonlinear solver
GMRES
Assembly

Nonlinear solver is showing parameter =step and value =547 .What does this mean?
GMRES is showing parameter = iteration & value =5870. What does this mean?

Thanks!
Sirisha
Thanks Ivar! One more question about the newton's iterations: When I set the iterations to 5000, how is that the GMRES iteration value is showing 5870 and the solver is still running? Where is the solver getting this value from? I am using a stationary solver and my problem uses a iterative/multigrid solver (that was the default option) and I see three lines in my progress window: nonlinear solver GMRES Assembly Nonlinear solver is showing parameter =step and value =547 .What does this mean? GMRES is showing parameter = iteration & value =5870. What does this mean? Thanks! Sirisha

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 gen 2011, 03:53 GMT-5
Hi

there aou are asking more than what I can answer in detail, because I'm not enough familiar with those solver internals, those are the type of questions I send myself to "support" or I ask the COMSOl experts during the courses or at hte yearly Conference ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there aou are asking more than what I can answer in detail, because I'm not enough familiar with those solver internals, those are the type of questions I send myself to "support" or I ask the COMSOl experts during the courses or at hte yearly Conference ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 gen 2011, 11:26 GMT-5
Ivar,

:)
I don't know if you are a COMSOL user like me or if you are a part of the COMSOL tester/developer team. But thanks for the help! I will check with the support team.

Sirisha

Ivar, :) I don't know if you are a COMSOL user like me or if you are a part of the COMSOL tester/developer team. But thanks for the help! I will check with the support team. Sirisha

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 gen 2011, 12:49 GMT-5
Hi

I'm a standard Comsol user as pobably yourself, no link to COMSOL, apart that I reaally like their tool, the only difference, with others is that I believe in exchange to learn for you and for me ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm a standard Comsol user as pobably yourself, no link to COMSOL, apart that I reaally like their tool, the only difference, with others is that I believe in exchange to learn for you and for me ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 gen 2012, 04:30 GMT-5
dear sir
your speaking and guideness is so help ful for me thank u
most of the time if ,i have a problem, i search in your webs about the other's problem and just do your guidness
dear sir your speaking and guideness is so help ful for me thank u most of the time if ,i have a problem, i search in your webs about the other's problem and just do your guidness

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 gen 2012, 04:59 GMT-5
Hi

That's good that it helps
But you could also try to answer others question, the goal is that everyone helps everyone,
I cannot answer everything anyhow ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi That's good that it helps But you could also try to answer others question, the goal is that everyone helps everyone, I cannot answer everything anyhow ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 giu 2012, 05:44 GMT-4
hey did you get rid off the above error.
I am also encountering with the same problem.
i would be grateful, if you could help me out.
hey did you get rid off the above error. I am also encountering with the same problem. i would be grateful, if you could help me out.

Posted: 9 years ago 30 ott 2015, 17:15 GMT-4
The default iteration step is 25 for steady study.

This error means within this 25 iterations, the remaining error is bigger than 10^-3. That is not a big deal. Just change 25 to maybe 100.

Problem solved.
The default iteration step is 25 for steady study. This error means within this 25 iterations, the remaining error is bigger than 10^-3. That is not a big deal. Just change 25 to maybe 100. Problem solved.

Posted: 8 years ago 29 apr 2016, 02:19 GMT-4
Dear Sir
Thanku very much for your valuable Guidance. I got my problem solved.
Dear Sir Thanku very much for your valuable Guidance. I got my problem solved.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.