Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plasticity in Multibody Dynamics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to implement plasticity in my multibody dynamics model. I tried by adding Solid Mechanics to my model then multiphysics, but soon found out that "no coupling features available for the selected physics interfaces."

Is there a way to implement plasticity in multibody dynamics physics? If not then I am planning on inputting the contact force results from the multibody dynamics model, into a separate solid mechanics model with plasticity.

-thanks
Kyle

3 Replies Last Post 23 ott 2016, 16:28 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 20 ott 2016, 01:07 GMT-4
Hi,

It is correct that you should add a Solid Mechanics interface to model plasticity. The connection should however be made through Attachment and Joint nodes, and not as Multiphysics Couplings.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, It is correct that you should add a Solid Mechanics interface to model plasticity. The connection should however be made through Attachment and Joint nodes, and not as Multiphysics Couplings. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 21 ott 2016, 10:41 GMT-4
Thanks Henrik,

So you mean use only Solid Mechanics physics because the use of attachments and joint nodes will work the same as multi-body dynamics joints such as prismatic and hinge?

Also I do not see joint nodes in Solid Mechanics physics, could you help me locate that node please?

-thanks
Kyle
Thanks Henrik, So you mean use only Solid Mechanics physics because the use of attachments and joint nodes will work the same as multi-body dynamics joints such as prismatic and hinge? Also I do not see joint nodes in Solid Mechanics physics, could you help me locate that node please? -thanks Kyle

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 23 ott 2016, 16:28 GMT-4
Hi,

You use the joints in the Multibody Dynamics interface. But you can add parts from the Solid Mechanics, Shell, and Beam interfaces, since in all of them it is possible to add Attachment nodes. The attachments can then be selected from any joint in the Multibody Dynamics interface.

Actually, can choose to use only the joints from a Multibody Dynamics interface, and create the rest of the model in one or more of the other physics interfaces.

The Attachment nodes are only available with a Multibody Dynamics Module license (since they are not meaningful except in a joint).

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You use the joints in the Multibody Dynamics interface. But you can add parts from the Solid Mechanics, Shell, and Beam interfaces, since in all of them it is possible to add Attachment nodes. The attachments can then be selected from any joint in the Multibody Dynamics interface. Actually, can choose to use only the joints from a Multibody Dynamics interface, and create the rest of the model in one or more of the other physics interfaces. The Attachment nodes are only available with a Multibody Dynamics Module license (since they are not meaningful except in a joint). Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.