Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing 3D geometry into COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Happy new year everyone!

I need help using this software. I want to know how to select my flow area/domain , which needs fluid to flow through my imported complex geometry(say from AUTOCAD).

The geometry is something like a complex pipe with a specific thickness. So when i import the geometry from AUTOCAD to COMSOL, the fluid is flowing through the thickness of my solid geomtery instead of flowing through it. Can anyone help me with this? how do i select the inner area fir my fluid flow/properties.

I need the flow to flow through the inner part, instead of the thickness of the solid geometry.

Can someone please help me with it?

Thanks in Advance

5 Replies Last Post 5 gen 2017, 07:58 GMT-5
Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2 gen 2017, 08:59 GMT-5
Hey Riya,

may be it es easier to create the geometry using Comsol. If you can not do so you have to close the domain of fluid flow by AutoCad (in/out boundary faces) or using Comsol after you imported your gometry.

If I understand your figure correctly Comsol cannot find a (closed) flow domain.

I wish you a happy new year!

Best regards

Michael
Hey Riya, may be it es easier to create the geometry using Comsol. If you can not do so you have to close the domain of fluid flow by AutoCad (in/out boundary faces) or using Comsol after you imported your gometry. If I understand your figure correctly Comsol cannot find a (closed) flow domain. I wish you a happy new year! Best regards Michael

Posted: 8 years ago 3 gen 2017, 04:32 GMT-5
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 3 gen 2017, 11:59 GMT-5
The functionality you are looking for is called "Cap Faces". It is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products. See this blog post which describes it:
www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/
Best,
Jeff
The functionality you are looking for is called "Cap Faces". It is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products. See this blog post which describes it: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/ Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 5 gen 2017, 05:28 GMT-5
Thank you Jeff, sorry for the late reply. I am still having a little trouble capping complex geometries like discharge slit of a nozzle, where the slit is a little bit of an angle and not a uniform slit.

Any other suggestions?

Riya
Thank you Jeff, sorry for the late reply. I am still having a little trouble capping complex geometries like discharge slit of a nozzle, where the slit is a little bit of an angle and not a uniform slit. Any other suggestions? Riya

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 5 gen 2017, 07:58 GMT-5
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "the slit is a little bit of an angle and not a uniform slit". The cap faces capability can be used to generate complex, non planar capping surfaces, as I briefly mentioned in this thread: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/128432 .
If problems persist, I would recommend you please contact the support team: support@comsol.com so they can discuss your specific situation in more detail with you.
Best regards,
Jeff
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "the slit is a little bit of an angle and not a uniform slit". The cap faces capability can be used to generate complex, non planar capping surfaces, as I briefly mentioned in this thread: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/128432 . If problems persist, I would recommend you please contact the support team: support@comsol.com so they can discuss your specific situation in more detail with you. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.