Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic field of current passing through a 2D sheet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I modeled a magnetic field of current passing through 2D sheet, the theoretical solution gives positive magnetic field on one side and negative magnetic field on the other side. Note that the magnetic field outside the sheet is constant, independent of the distance from the sheet.

I verified the magnetic field value by comsol however in comsol both sides of sheet magnetic field is positive ?!

can someone help me why magnetic field is positive on both side ? what is it missing here?

Regards
Abraham

2 Replies Last Post 10 gen 2017, 02:50 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 8 gen 2017, 09:51 GMT-5
There are many things that could have gone wrong. What quantity did you plot? Did you accidentally plot the magnitude of the field rather than a vector component? And if you did choose a vector component, did you choose one perpendicular to the direction of the current? Is the current actually flowing in the direction that you thought it was? Also, did you include a computational space around the sheet, and provide appropriate boundary conditions on its boundaries? I suggest you post your model to the forum.
There are many things that could have gone wrong. What quantity did you plot? Did you accidentally plot the magnitude of the field rather than a vector component? And if you did choose a vector component, did you choose one perpendicular to the direction of the current? Is the current actually flowing in the direction that you thought it was? Also, did you include a computational space around the sheet, and provide appropriate boundary conditions on its boundaries? I suggest you post your model to the forum.

Posted: 8 years ago 10 gen 2017, 02:50 GMT-5
Thank you so much Dr. Robert, I was actually plotting the norm of magnetic field, when I plotted the correct component of the magnetic field, it turned out to be correct being positive and negative on each side

Thanks again!
Abraham
Thank you so much Dr. Robert, I was actually plotting the norm of magnetic field, when I plotted the correct component of the magnetic field, it turned out to be correct being positive and negative on each side Thanks again! Abraham

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.