Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cooling Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm Pablo from Spain and I'm a new user of COMSOL.
I'm trying to do a very simple time dependent simulation but I have no idea how to set right the boundary conditions.
Basically what I'm trying to do is to model how long it will take to temper a basalt rock (square) at 600K if I just leave it in the outside (air at ambient temperature 300K).
Should I use the Conjugate Heat transfer and create a box of air around the rock or is there an easier way to model it?

Thanks for the help!
Cheers

2 Replies Last Post 30 gen 2017, 04:11 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 27 gen 2017, 10:57 GMT-5
Hello Pablo,
The Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual contains a tutorial (The model of a busbar) that demonstrates a couple of ways you can model cooling of a solid by the surrounding air.
One involves using Conjugate Heat Transfer (i.e. drawing a box around the solid and solving for fluid flow and temperature there), the other consists in apply a boundary condition on the solid that mimics the effect on the solid of the cooling by convection.
All manuals are accessed through the File > Help > Documentation menu.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Pablo, The Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual contains a tutorial (The model of a busbar) that demonstrates a couple of ways you can model cooling of a solid by the surrounding air. One involves using Conjugate Heat Transfer (i.e. drawing a box around the solid and solving for fluid flow and temperature there), the other consists in apply a boundary condition on the solid that mimics the effect on the solid of the cooling by convection. All manuals are accessed through the File > Help > Documentation menu. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 30 gen 2017, 04:11 GMT-5
Thanks for your help Jeff, I will take a look at the tutorials!
Best,
Pablo
Thanks for your help Jeff, I will take a look at the tutorials! Best, Pablo

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.