Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time derivative of a scalar expression?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to calculate the time derivative of a variable that is defined in the scalar expression. I have the box "include time derivatives" checked under "output" tab in solver manager and it does give me all the time derivatives of the primitive variables but doesn't work for the variable under scalar expression. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks.

-Gunjan.

3 Replies Last Post 10 nov 2009, 13:55 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 ott 2009, 03:39 GMT-4
Hi

I have not understood that COMSOL would provide you internally with time derivatives for other than the usual variables, I expect that you must make your time derivative yourself for "user" variables by manipulating the time sequence

but if you find another way, and if you have a nice piece of code, pls post it here so we coul all learn

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have not understood that COMSOL would provide you internally with time derivatives for other than the usual variables, I expect that you must make your time derivative yourself for "user" variables by manipulating the time sequence but if you find another way, and if you have a nice piece of code, pls post it here so we coul all learn Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 nov 2009, 10:40 GMT-5
Dear Gunjan,
maybe you can set your variable as part of a global equation (see Physics/Global equations) and then solve your problem togheter with the global equation.
Comsol manuals contain a lot of examples about the use of global equations.
I hope this help.

Alessandro
Dear Gunjan, maybe you can set your variable as part of a global equation (see Physics/Global equations) and then solve your problem togheter with the global equation. Comsol manuals contain a lot of examples about the use of global equations. I hope this help. Alessandro

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 nov 2009, 13:55 GMT-5
I tried few different things including the global equation section but no luck so far. So temporarily I am using the analytical solution of the time derivatives until I can come up with something different. It's working but still having some minor troubles. Will keep posted. Thanks a lot for your comments and ideas.

-G
I tried few different things including the global equation section but no luck so far. So temporarily I am using the analytical solution of the time derivatives until I can come up with something different. It's working but still having some minor troubles. Will keep posted. Thanks a lot for your comments and ideas. -G

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.