Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Physics controlled mesh in 4.0

Maria Elizabeth Saade Saade

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
Is it possible to create a physics-controlled mesh in the version 4.0? I know that 4.1 can do it, but I'm not sure how to do it in 4.0.
I'm working with non-isothermal flow, so I need to make the mesh smaller around the inlet area otherwise it wont converge, how can I do this?

Thanks

Elizabeth

4 Replies Last Post 9 apr 2015, 22:37 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 feb 2011, 08:02 GMT-5
Hi

if I remeber right the "physics induced" mesh in 4.0 was very limited, really nice in 4.1, with new improvements, enhancements for more physics for 4.2. In 4.0 I only trusted manual meshing, but you have full control manually, its just somewhat tediuos. As meshing is almost an "art" you learn a lot by meshing manually though.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I remeber right the "physics induced" mesh in 4.0 was very limited, really nice in 4.1, with new improvements, enhancements for more physics for 4.2. In 4.0 I only trusted manual meshing, but you have full control manually, its just somewhat tediuos. As meshing is almost an "art" you learn a lot by meshing manually though. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 6 apr 2015, 22:53 GMT-4
Dear Ivar,

I am using the 5.0 version.
I want little bit clarity over using the physics controlled mesh. As it is explained in the help -- it can be used when the wavelength changes in different dielectric regions. Does it mean when they are combinely used or individually?? What about the usage in case of sandwich type structres like metal-dielectric-metal structures media is not uniform on which I am trying to work now ?? how about the relation between the background wave type and meshing in this case , as I wanted to calculate the scattered field now .

I used two physics nodes, the first one solves for the background electric field(y-component, norm) for the air-glass domain without the MIM and the background field drawn from this physics will be used to claculate the total field (y-component, norm) in the second one. for that I defined a set of variables the E-field components as "0".

I am brand new to comsol, trying to learn. I will be glad with your patient reply. hope my question is clear to you.

I took the scatterer on substrate as a model example to follow my structure.

Regards,
Srivathsava Surabhi.
Dear Ivar, I am using the 5.0 version. I want little bit clarity over using the physics controlled mesh. As it is explained in the help -- it can be used when the wavelength changes in different dielectric regions. Does it mean when they are combinely used or individually?? What about the usage in case of sandwich type structres like metal-dielectric-metal structures media is not uniform on which I am trying to work now ?? how about the relation between the background wave type and meshing in this case , as I wanted to calculate the scattered field now . I used two physics nodes, the first one solves for the background electric field(y-component, norm) for the air-glass domain without the MIM and the background field drawn from this physics will be used to claculate the total field (y-component, norm) in the second one. for that I defined a set of variables the E-field components as "0". I am brand new to comsol, trying to learn. I will be glad with your patient reply. hope my question is clear to you. I took the scatterer on substrate as a model example to follow my structure. Regards, Srivathsava Surabhi.

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 7 apr 2015, 13:37 GMT-4
Hello,

You may find this demo of the new functionality useful:
www.comsol.com/video/automated-meshing-electromagnetic-waves-frequency-domain-simulations

Best,
Hello, You may find this demo of the new functionality useful: http://www.comsol.com/video/automated-meshing-electromagnetic-waves-frequency-domain-simulations Best,

Posted: 9 years ago 9 apr 2015, 22:37 GMT-4
Thank you for your timely reply.

Regards,
Srivathsava Surabhi
Thank you for your timely reply. Regards, Srivathsava Surabhi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.