Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer - flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings.
I have a couple surface to surface radiation model (with solar tracking, similar to parasol example) involved with a couple laminar air flow model, typically modelling an outside environment for heat transfer. For, heat transfer module, I have explicitly defined solids and fluids domain and coupled it in multiphysics as fluid coupling (going by a guess work, that the velocity is coupled to temperature).

At the solver settings, I intend to provide a steady state fluid flow, and a transient hourly varying heat transfer settings, with the described checkmarks. I have selected "initial values of variables solved for".

I get a failed results, every other time giving separate responses
1. reached singularity,
2. time list values may not have been specified.
3. cannot solve for variable spf.U for domain (the cylindrical solid structure, which acts as an obstacle).

Please help me with your suggestions.

Thanks
Sai

1 Reply Last Post 10 mar 2017, 12:32 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 10 mar 2017, 12:32 GMT-5
Hi

1) Check if your physics are mutually coupled or not? For your purpose, you need to decouple the physics. Go to the Laminar flow and in the fluid properties, set a constant temperature.

2) Solve the fluid flow separately at first (study 1), then use the results of study 1 for your main study of heat transfer (study 2) using "initial values of variables not solved for".
Hi 1) Check if your physics are mutually coupled or not? For your purpose, you need to decouple the physics. Go to the Laminar flow and in the fluid properties, set a constant temperature. 2) Solve the fluid flow separately at first (study 1), then use the results of study 1 for your main study of heat transfer (study 2) using "initial values of variables not solved for".

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.