Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Membrane wing in FSI

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm trying to model a very flexible membrane wing that has been significantly pretensioned and is at a fixed angle of attack in a wind tunnel test section. I've tried a handful of approaches and none of them have worked out, so I'm hoping someone here can suggest what I'm doing wrong. I'm using the FSI module.

First, I tried straining the membrane manually, within the FSI module, with a combination of prescribed displacements, rollers, and a fixed point. If I only model the membrane (and not the fluid) with this approach, it strains exactly as I would expect. However, if I then add the fluid modeling, I get an error that a bunch of nodes giving "NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable x". But I can't see why that would happen, if it worked when only the membrane was being modeled...

Next, I tried using the "Initial stress/strain" condition under the Linear Elastic Material definition in the FSI module. To get the appropriate stress values, I split the study into two stationary steps. In the first step I used Solid Mechanics module to solve for the membrane stress tensor. Then, in the second stationary step, I used the Domain ODEs and DAEs module to get the stress tensor values from the first step, and the FSI module with the initial stress defined from those values. It solves, but the results don't look like I would expect. There's no cambering of the membrane (i.e., curvature due to the aerodynamic pressure), and the membrane dimensions are somewhere in between the initial and prestressed values.

I've attached a model, illustrating both these approaches in the two studies. Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated!

Regards,
Jillian

0 Replies Last Post 13 mar 2017, 16:09 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello J Bohnker

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.