Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inductances AC vs DC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody!

I've discovered that coil with iron core has different inductance values depending on a study type.

Stationary study produces higher inductance value compared to frequency domain one. Field distribution is also different. DC has more homogeneous magnetic field within iron core while AC has all the field concentrated in a thin surface layer.

So now I have 2 questions:
1. Which of the two inductances is the correct one?
2. As far as I know, maximum achievable magnetic field in iron core lies around 2 T. In AC model I got magnetic flux density up to 5 T within iron core. Since inductance is derived from total magnetic energy and that energy is calculated by integrating all those flux density values, does it mean that I'm getting incorrect inductance values as well?

1 Reply Last Post 21 mar 2017, 03:29 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 21 mar 2017, 03:29 GMT-4
Are you representing the iron core with a value for relative permeability, or are you using an actual BH (or HB) curve? The fact that your field has gone to 5T in the iron suggests you are using a relative permeability value, which of course provides no way to include saturation of the iron.

Mark
Are you representing the iron core with a value for relative permeability, or are you using an actual BH (or HB) curve? The fact that your field has gone to 5T in the iron suggests you are using a relative permeability value, which of course provides no way to include saturation of the iron. Mark

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.