Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic fields of moving objects

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to COMSOL so this might be a simple question to answer.

I want to 2D simulate magnetic field distribution between a moving magnet and an iron bar. Stationary problem is solved easily. But when I want it to be time dependent, the fields don't move even though there are deformation indeed. So, the magnet moves but in the plot we have the distribution of the fields as in the solution of the stationary problem. I have tried to include Moving Mesh before the Solid Mechanics module but without success.

So my question is, how can I force the system to take into account spatial movement of the magnet in my problem so that it could be possible to show the changing of the field distribution in the resulting plots?

Can I do this only with the Physics “Magnetic Fields, No Currents”, "Solid mechanics" and "Moving Mesh" or do I need another physics?

Thank you very much!
Serg

1 Reply Last Post 22 mar 2017, 09:37 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 22 mar 2017, 09:37 GMT-4
Are you intending to model the mechanical stress/strain in your model? If not, then I would suggest there is no need to include the Solid Mechanics module. Are the relative velocities of the moving components high enough to incur electromagnetic phenomena (eddy currents, etc...)? Again, if not, then maybe a stationary study is OK.

If you DO intend on calculating the mechanical stresses, then it still would be worthwhile getting the electromagnetic setup of your model correct before introducing the Solid Mechanics module.

Moving components do not necessarily require the Solid Mechanics module. That module is only required when you are interested in stresses and strains within components.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't over-complicating the study!

The Moving Mesh module will be required if you require a time dependant solution, (i.e if you are interested in eddy current etc...)

Regards,

Mark
Are you intending to model the mechanical stress/strain in your model? If not, then I would suggest there is no need to include the Solid Mechanics module. Are the relative velocities of the moving components high enough to incur electromagnetic phenomena (eddy currents, etc...)? Again, if not, then maybe a stationary study is OK. If you DO intend on calculating the mechanical stresses, then it still would be worthwhile getting the electromagnetic setup of your model correct before introducing the Solid Mechanics module. Moving components do not necessarily require the Solid Mechanics module. That module is only required when you are interested in stresses and strains within components. I just wanted to make sure you weren't over-complicating the study! The Moving Mesh module will be required if you require a time dependant solution, (i.e if you are interested in eddy current etc...) Regards, Mark

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.