Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Slow loading/saving of files

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm just curious if what I am experiencing is normal and I need to get used to it or if there is something I can do to speed things up.

I have a .mph file with the solutions of a parametric sweep (RF frequency domain study...15 frequencies with 4
different values for the parameter that I am varying). The file is about 4GB.

What I want to do is access the file via the Livelink for MATLAB and post process the data.

It takes several minutes (5-10) to load the file. I'm using the Livelink for MATLAB and when I try to export the model file to the server it automatically saves even if I have changed nothing. This takes even longer 10+ minutes.

All in all it takes 20+ minutes before I can access the data in MATLAB. Is this normal?

I'm using a workstation with 48GB of ram and dual X5550 (2.66 GHz) processors WinXP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack2

5 Replies Last Post 8 set 2016, 13:11 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Hodgson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 apr 2011, 08:09 GMT-4
I have a similar problem. Opening a file takes a terribly long time (>5 minutes). We have a "normal" file, without any LiveLinking. We have a lot of solutions in this file, and most of them are not used (for now). I would like to delete the solutions in order to speed up working speed, but I want to keep the studies, as they will be used later.

I have tried to disable/delete the solutions, but this does not affect the file open speed a single bit. Neither does it reduce the file size. Clearly, the data is somehow still retained within Comsol.

If I delete the studies, the corresponding solutions and results are deleted automatically. This does reduce the file size considerably, and file opening takes only a few seconds. However, this way I lose the studies I need later, including all our pre-defined graphs. This solution is really not an option.

So...

How can we delete old data without significantly changing the file structure?
I have a similar problem. Opening a file takes a terribly long time (>5 minutes). We have a "normal" file, without any LiveLinking. We have a lot of solutions in this file, and most of them are not used (for now). I would like to delete the solutions in order to speed up working speed, but I want to keep the studies, as they will be used later. I have tried to disable/delete the solutions, but this does not affect the file open speed a single bit. Neither does it reduce the file size. Clearly, the data is somehow still retained within Comsol. If I delete the studies, the corresponding solutions and results are deleted automatically. This does reduce the file size considerably, and file opening takes only a few seconds. However, this way I lose the studies I need later, including all our pre-defined graphs. This solution is really not an option. So... How can we delete old data without significantly changing the file structure?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 apr 2011, 09:36 GMT-4
Hi

Note you have the Clear and the Delete solution:
the "Clear" flushes the stored values (removes them from RAM, so also from your file when you save),
while the "Delete" removes all solver steps and all nodes linked to the active solver (typically your plots).

You have the general "all model" Clear Solution, Mesh and Reset file as 3 distinct entries in the "File" tab
You can clear or Delete a single solver data/per solver set via the Solver node.

Workaround, to reset a solver sequence without loosing your plots (works in 4.1). You regenerate a new Default sequence, if the "Sovler 1" is not regenerated because it contained specific changes, then a "Solver 2" is created (the active one is the one with the green frame on the icon), then you flip all your "results Plots" nodes from "Solution 1" to "Solution 2". Once noting is "hanging" on Solver 1 you might delete the solver node Solver 1

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Note you have the Clear and the Delete solution: the "Clear" flushes the stored values (removes them from RAM, so also from your file when you save), while the "Delete" removes all solver steps and all nodes linked to the active solver (typically your plots). You have the general "all model" Clear Solution, Mesh and Reset file as 3 distinct entries in the "File" tab You can clear or Delete a single solver data/per solver set via the Solver node. Workaround, to reset a solver sequence without loosing your plots (works in 4.1). You regenerate a new Default sequence, if the "Sovler 1" is not regenerated because it contained specific changes, then a "Solver 2" is created (the active one is the one with the green frame on the icon), then you flip all your "results Plots" nodes from "Solution 1" to "Solution 2". Once noting is "hanging" on Solver 1 you might delete the solver node Solver 1 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 8 set 2016, 11:15 GMT-4
This is giving me an ulcer,

I deleted the results and file still takes 10min to open/save (9GB), it is not obvious how to "clear" the solution...
This is giving me an ulcer, I deleted the results and file still takes 10min to open/save (9GB), it is not obvious how to "clear" the solution...

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 8 set 2016, 11:28 GMT-4
Hello Gert,

Within COMSOL 5.2a you can go to the File Menu > Preferences, File section. You'll see at the top that, when saving new files, you can optimize for File Size (resulting in a smaller file) or Speed (resulting in relatively faster opening times then next time you open the file.)

A 9GB does sound quite large, though. If you do want to clear out ALL of the solution, then what you can do is go to the Study Ribbon, and click "Clear All Solutions" and then all results will be removed from the file. You can similarly go to the Mesh Ribbon and "Clear All Meshes" if you want to remove all mesh and solution data from the file itself to get its size down as much as possible for archival purposes of just the unsolved, unmeshed, model.

Alternatively, if you know ahead of time (before solving) that you don't actually need all of 9GB of data, then you may find these articles helpful:
www.comsol.com/blogs/minimize-your-model-file-size-with-storing-solution-techniques/
www.comsol.com/blogs/probing-your-simulation-results/
They show two different techniques for only storing a subset of the entire model data.
Hello Gert, Within COMSOL 5.2a you can go to the File Menu > Preferences, File section. You'll see at the top that, when saving new files, you can optimize for File Size (resulting in a smaller file) or Speed (resulting in relatively faster opening times then next time you open the file.) A 9GB does sound quite large, though. If you do want to clear out ALL of the solution, then what you can do is go to the Study Ribbon, and click "Clear All Solutions" and then all results will be removed from the file. You can similarly go to the Mesh Ribbon and "Clear All Meshes" if you want to remove all mesh and solution data from the file itself to get its size down as much as possible for archival purposes of just the unsolved, unmeshed, model. Alternatively, if you know ahead of time (before solving) that you don't actually need all of 9GB of data, then you may find these articles helpful: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/minimize-your-model-file-size-with-storing-solution-techniques/ https://www.comsol.com/blogs/probing-your-simulation-results/ They show two different techniques for only storing a subset of the entire model data.

Posted: 8 years ago 8 set 2016, 13:11 GMT-4
Thanks for the response and useful links!
Thanks for the response and useful links!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.