Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Negative prescribed acceleration on a 3D geometry part

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model an impact test on a polymer cylinder by defining the deceleration of the impact tup as it compresses the part. It is a negative acceleration but using the 'prescribed acceleration' method I cannot define the acceleration as negative. Putting a minus only defines it as being in the downwards direction on the z axis.

Does anyone know any way I could model this deceleration?

Thank you,

Remi Shah

9 Replies Last Post 30 mar 2017, 11:06 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 09:58 GMT-4
A deceleration is an acceleration in the opposite direction of the velocity, isn't it?
Jeff
A deceleration is an acceleration in the opposite direction of the velocity, isn't it? Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 10:00 GMT-4
Yes it is
Yes it is

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 10:01 GMT-4
How would I define the direction of the acceleration in relation to the velocity?
How would I define the direction of the acceleration in relation to the velocity?

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 10:17 GMT-4
My point was that, if your velocity is in the positive z direction, an acceleration in the negative z direction is exactly what you want.
Jeff
My point was that, if your velocity is in the positive z direction, an acceleration in the negative z direction is exactly what you want. Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 10:23 GMT-4
Oh I see what you mean. My only concern is that if I was to make a prescribed velocity in the positive z direction acting on the top surface of the cylinder part (and then the negative z direction acceleration) why would the velocity have any effect on the part because it is acting on the top layer but moving up, away from the part.

Thank you
Oh I see what you mean. My only concern is that if I was to make a prescribed velocity in the positive z direction acting on the top surface of the cylinder part (and then the negative z direction acceleration) why would the velocity have any effect on the part because it is acting on the top layer but moving up, away from the part. Thank you

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 10:33 GMT-4
I am not following you.
Jeff
I am not following you. Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 10:44 GMT-4
Sorry its a bit hard to describe. Basically I'm thinking that if I make a prescribed velocity act on the top boundary of the part in the positive z direction it will simply act upwards from the top of the part and have no effect on the part. It is the same reason I can't just achieve a deceleration effect by making the prescribed acceleration act upwards from the top of the part because it will have no effect on the part.

However if I make the prescribed velocity act upwards from the bottom of the part and the prescribed acceleration act down from the top of the part do you think this will have my desired effect. As in the upwards velocity through the part and the downwards acceleration acting together will result in an overall deceleration on the part.

I hope this is a bit clearer.

Remi
Sorry its a bit hard to describe. Basically I'm thinking that if I make a prescribed velocity act on the top boundary of the part in the positive z direction it will simply act upwards from the top of the part and have no effect on the part. It is the same reason I can't just achieve a deceleration effect by making the prescribed acceleration act upwards from the top of the part because it will have no effect on the part. However if I make the prescribed velocity act upwards from the bottom of the part and the prescribed acceleration act down from the top of the part do you think this will have my desired effect. As in the upwards velocity through the part and the downwards acceleration acting together will result in an overall deceleration on the part. I hope this is a bit clearer. Remi

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 10:57 GMT-4
I don't understand why you think it would have no impact on the part. Your part is a solid, so if one of its boundary moves, the part has to "follow".
Jeff
I don't understand why you think it would have no impact on the part. Your part is a solid, so if one of its boundary moves, the part has to "follow". Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 30 mar 2017, 11:06 GMT-4
OK yes you're correct. I forgot to mention the base of the part is a fixed constraint so a velocity on the top layer acting upwards will actually stretch the part. If this 'stretching' velocity and a compressing downwards acceleration are modelled together will it result in a eventual 'equilibrium' where the acceleration causes the velocity to diminish to zero at some point?
OK yes you're correct. I forgot to mention the base of the part is a fixed constraint so a velocity on the top layer acting upwards will actually stretch the part. If this 'stretching' velocity and a compressing downwards acceleration are modelled together will it result in a eventual 'equilibrium' where the acceleration causes the velocity to diminish to zero at some point?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.