Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to continue the calculation of unfinished cases

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on electro-coalescence with Comsol 5.2a with our university’s Advanced Research Computing (ARC) systems. However, the ARC only allows me to calculate my case up to 48 hours with 32 cores, which is not enough to finish my simulation. Do you have any advice to continue the calculation of the unfinished cases? Thank you very much!

7 Replies Last Post 26 mag 2017, 12:17 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 26 mag 2017, 07:06 GMT-4
Hi,

if it is a time dependent study, you can continue the study. You have to interrupt the study manually by using the STOP buttons. If it completes normally, the continue option is not available anymore. @Comsol: This should be changed ...

Other models may be continued by setting up a second study that takes the solution from the interrupted study as initial condition. This works for time dependent too. You have to set the start time of the second study equal to the stop time of the first.

If your model comprises a parametric sweep things may get complicated, no solution here in this case so far.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, if it is a time dependent study, you can continue the study. You have to interrupt the study manually by using the STOP buttons. If it completes normally, the continue option is not available anymore. @Comsol: This should be changed ... Other models may be continued by setting up a second study that takes the solution from the interrupted study as initial condition. This works for time dependent too. You have to set the start time of the second study equal to the stop time of the first. If your model comprises a parametric sweep things may get complicated, no solution here in this case so far. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 7 years ago 26 mag 2017, 07:27 GMT-4
Thank you very much! Another question is that I would like to get the macro separation efficiency of water-in-oil emulsations. My thought is to get the size of coalescence droplets, but I donot need to focus on the the process of droplet-droplet coalescence. That is to say, donot need to calculate the interface behavior of droplets because the calculation takes too long time with Level set method. Could you please help to propose any other methods to get the efficiency? Thanks again.
Thank you very much! Another question is that I would like to get the macro separation efficiency of water-in-oil emulsations. My thought is to get the size of coalescence droplets, but I donot need to focus on the the process of droplet-droplet coalescence. That is to say, donot need to calculate the interface behavior of droplets because the calculation takes too long time with Level set method. Could you please help to propose any other methods to get the efficiency? Thanks again.

Posted: 7 years ago 26 mag 2017, 07:35 GMT-4

Sorry, we don't do any CFD work. But maybe others can help.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Sorry, we don't do any CFD work. But maybe others can help. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 7 years ago 26 mag 2017, 08:56 GMT-4
Dear Edgar,

I know. I mean that do you have any module to do coalescence but not that slow as level set.

Kind Regards,
Li Bin
Dear Edgar, I know. I mean that do you have any module to do coalescence but not that slow as level set. Kind Regards, Li Bin

Posted: 7 years ago 26 mag 2017, 11:02 GMT-4

Hi,

if it is a time dependent study, you can continue the study. You have to interrupt the study manually by using the STOP buttons. If it completes normally, the continue option is not available anymore. @Comsol: This should be changed ...

Other models may be continued by setting up a second study that takes the solution from the interrupted study as initial condition. This works for time dependent too. You have to set the start time of the second study equal to the stop time of the first.

If your model comprises a parametric sweep things may get complicated, no solution here in this case so far.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com

Dear Edgar,

I am using level set method. It seems that even though I set up a second study that takes the solution from the interrupted study as initial condition, the second study calculate from the original initial condition, and I got the same results as the first study. So, does your method fit in level set method? Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Bin Li
[QUOTE] Hi, if it is a time dependent study, you can continue the study. You have to interrupt the study manually by using the STOP buttons. If it completes normally, the continue option is not available anymore. @Comsol: This should be changed ... Other models may be continued by setting up a second study that takes the solution from the interrupted study as initial condition. This works for time dependent too. You have to set the start time of the second study equal to the stop time of the first. If your model comprises a parametric sweep things may get complicated, no solution here in this case so far. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE] Dear Edgar, I am using level set method. It seems that even though I set up a second study that takes the solution from the interrupted study as initial condition, the second study calculate from the original initial condition, and I got the same results as the first study. So, does your method fit in level set method? Thanks. Kind Regards, Bin Li

Posted: 7 years ago 26 mag 2017, 12:15 GMT-4
As I said, we don't do CFD so I can't tell anything about the level set method.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
As I said, we don't do CFD so I can't tell anything about the level set method. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 7 years ago 26 mag 2017, 12:17 GMT-4
All right. Thank you.

Cheers
Bin Li
All right. Thank you. Cheers Bin Li

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.