Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field component as Er,Ephi,Ea instead of Ex,Ey,Ez

Christian Niclaas Saggau

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I simulate a circular cavity as a 2D simulation - due to the symmetry of the system it would be handy to obtain the field directly as cylindrical components without the need to export and post process the data. Is this possible? If I introduce a local cylindrical coordinate system comsol seems to change the solver to cylindrical coordinates but somehow I cannot access the data.
So am I doing something wrong?

2 Replies Last Post 4 giu 2017, 13:43 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 31 mag 2017, 20:46 GMT-4
Updated: 7 years ago 31 mag 2017, 20:47 GMT-4
1. Are you using the 2D axi-symmetric formalism? If so, your working variables are already in cylindrical form. For example, in the electromagnetic wave RF module, you have: emw.Er, emw.Ephi, and emw.Ez

2. If you are using the 2D cartesian formalism (where z extends infinitely), then you can always extract polar coordinates from the x and y ones via the customary transformations. You can write the expressions in Comsol Multiphysics; you don't have to export the data. Note: To get the correct quadrant for the phi angle, consider using the atan2 function.

1. Are you using the 2D axi-symmetric formalism? If so, your working variables are already in cylindrical form. For example, in the electromagnetic wave RF module, you have: emw.Er, emw.Ephi, and emw.Ez 2. If you are using the 2D cartesian formalism (where z extends infinitely), then you can always extract polar coordinates from the x and y ones via the customary transformations. You can write the expressions in Comsol Multiphysics; you don't have to export the data. Note: To get the correct quadrant for the phi angle, consider using the atan2 function.

Christian Niclaas Saggau

Posted: 7 years ago 4 giu 2017, 13:43 GMT-4
Thanks alot that worked greath - I did not know that I can put a formula about anywhere in Comsol.
Thanks alot that worked greath - I did not know that I can put a formula about anywhere in Comsol.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.