Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrokinetics; Dimensionless model; Nanoparticle translocation through nanopore; Moving meshes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently trying to build a dimensionless model using COMSOL 5.2a by referring an example built by COMSOL 3.5a (It is a book called "Electrophretic Particle Transport In Micro-/Nanfluids")
The goal is to model a charged nanoparticle translocating a nanopore under the influence of both hydrodynamic and electric forces. I used five modules:
Electrostatics;
Creeping flow;
Transport of diluted species;
Moving meshes;
Global equations;
I apply the same mesh velocity on the particle surface but as a result, the particle becomes enlarged and the meshes around the particle surface have saw-like shapes. And the electric double layer is very thin. Because for 0.1M KCl solution, the EDL thickness should around 1nm but in the model result, it is only 0.5nm.

I am wondering if I could get some help from you or the other experts. My main question is: When I build a dimensionless model using COMSOL 5.2a, what do I need to pay special attention to compared to COMSOL 3.5a?

BTW, is it recommended to use a dimensionless model in COMSOL 5.2a? (In my case, since all the dimensions are in nanoscale, COMSOL may not find the proper scale by itself. That is why I try to use a dimensionless model.)

Thanks a lot for your time!

0 Replies Last Post 12 lug 2017, 14:08 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bin Peng

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.