Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermally induced focal shift - solid mechanics does not seem to be effective

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to understand how Solid Mechanics in the ''thermally induced focal shift'' example works. In order to make sure that deformation (caused by thermal expansion) affects the ray trajectories, I assigned zero value for the expansion coefficient. However nothing has changed in the results. It seems that ray trajectories are changing only because the refractive index is defined temperature dependent, and they are not effected by the shape of the expanded lens. It seems that Ray Optics is using the original geometry no matter what happens in the Solid Mechanics.

Should we add a Moving mesh or a Deformed geometry so that the deformation in the Solid Mechanis can be effective in the Ray Optics?

Thanks in advance,

Emine

1 Reply Last Post 15 ago 2017, 07:08 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 15 ago 2017, 07:08 GMT-4
I believe that I found the answer to my question. Instead of deleting this post, I would like to write down my solution in case it may help someone else:

If you want your geometry to change with the deformation, you need to ''include geometric nonlinearity'' in the study step.

Here is the link for more information:
www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/

I believe that I found the answer to my question. Instead of deleting this post, I would like to write down my solution in case it may help someone else: If you want your geometry to change with the deformation, you need to ''include geometric nonlinearity'' in the study step. Here is the link for more information: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.