Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

optimization for transient problem (get optimized parameters for the model to fit the experiments)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I have a model with several parameters say A, B, C, D, then run a transient analysis.

I want the results (a result vary with time) from the model to follow the data from an experiment,
in order to find the most optimized parameters that will fit the experiment.

Is this possible to do in Comsol ?
Thanks a lot.
XLi

2 Replies Last Post 26 mar 2011, 18:24 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2011, 03:49 GMT-4
Hi

define an ODE equation or Global equation and arrange your formula to be = 0
i.e. you define a variable that COMSOL adapts to get the equation to fit, its the poor mans optimisation, but you are correct, the optimisation module has all this in readily set up, and pre-cooked for you

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi define an ODE equation or Global equation and arrange your formula to be = 0 i.e. you define a variable that COMSOL adapts to get the equation to fit, its the poor mans optimisation, but you are correct, the optimisation module has all this in readily set up, and pre-cooked for you -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2011, 18:24 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,
I don't think this optimization in a timedependent model would be that easy. These days I am working on a curvefitting problem in COMSOL 4.0a. I use time dependent Nernst-Plank model. Using this model I am able to find the trend of current versus time and I have experimental trend as well. The plan is using the COMSOL model and the experimental results to find an optimum value for a physical constant. So the control variable is not changing through time. I also defined the objective variable as the integral of the RMS error between model and experimental results through time.
COMSOL all the time gives "singular matrix" error for the optimization of this problem. I found other people in this forum or in other places have the same problem.
Do you think using optimization module in a time dependent problem is beyond the capability of COMSOL and I need to optimize my problem using optimization toolbar in MATLAB? If this is the case do you know any example that can help me. I can't figure out how I should use optimization toolbar in this case.
I also posted a separate question about this to see the opinion of other people.
I greatly appericiate your help.
Atieh
Hi Ivar, I don't think this optimization in a timedependent model would be that easy. These days I am working on a curvefitting problem in COMSOL 4.0a. I use time dependent Nernst-Plank model. Using this model I am able to find the trend of current versus time and I have experimental trend as well. The plan is using the COMSOL model and the experimental results to find an optimum value for a physical constant. So the control variable is not changing through time. I also defined the objective variable as the integral of the RMS error between model and experimental results through time. COMSOL all the time gives "singular matrix" error for the optimization of this problem. I found other people in this forum or in other places have the same problem. Do you think using optimization module in a time dependent problem is beyond the capability of COMSOL and I need to optimize my problem using optimization toolbar in MATLAB? If this is the case do you know any example that can help me. I can't figure out how I should use optimization toolbar in this case. I also posted a separate question about this to see the opinion of other people. I greatly appericiate your help. Atieh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.