Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrochemical Reaction on electrode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using Chemical Reaction Engineering module in COMSOL4.1version.
I am trying to make the model of the corrosion which consists of two electrodes(anode and cathode).
I could build the model potential distribution and current flow in NaCl solution using Nernst-Planc equation.

But, I have to consider electrochemical reaction on electrode. That should affect the environmental change like concentration of metal, pH and so on. Normally, anodic reaction is dissolution of metal like M = M+ + e. On the other hand, cathodic reaction is reduction of oxygen, O2 + H2O + 4e = 4OH-. In addition, I have to consider the ion product of water, W.
How should I set the boundary condition to know the concentration of metal and pH in the solution depending on the current density on electrodes (electrochemical reactions)? Should I add new physics 'Chemical spices transport / reaction engineering' and use it in conjunction with Nernst Plank Equation ?

D.M

0 Replies Last Post 25 mar 2011, 15:34 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dicke

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.