Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling a permanent magnet with multiple poles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am currently trying to model a permanent magnet which has multiple poles. In the image an example is shown.

How do I need to model this?

I was able to model a magnet with only two poles. For this I took a zylindrical geometry and megnatized it. My attempt for multiple poles was, that I cut the zylindrical sphere into multiple parts and magnetized these separate parts. Unfortunatly this resulted in the same as if I had not cut it. Attached is my attempt.

Thanks in advance for all tipps.

3 Replies Last Post 6 dic 2017, 16:34 GMT-5
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 29 nov 2017, 12:33 GMT-5

Lukas,

Attached is model with multiple poles.

Regards, Sergei

Lukas, Attached is model with multiple poles. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 7 years ago 30 nov 2017, 09:48 GMT-5

Hi Sergei,

Thank you very much for your model. I was able to repeat the steps which you did. I did not had the idea to change the sign of the magentization for some of the slices.

However the poles are arranged in kind a special way. I tried to visualize in the attached image what kind of arrangement I'd like to achieve. Do you have any ideas how this can be achieved?

Hi Sergei, Thank you very much for your model. I was able to repeat the steps which you did. I did not had the idea to change the sign of the magentization for some of the slices. However the poles are arranged in kind a special way. I tried to visualize in the attached image what kind of arrangement I'd like to achieve. Do you have any ideas how this can be achieved?

Posted: 7 years ago 6 dic 2017, 16:34 GMT-5

I was able to achieve the desired simulation. There were different problems in the design. First, the direction of the magnetization was wrong. Also I had to make the block of air around the magnet bigger. Also some other small changes had to be made.

I was able to achieve the desired simulation. There were different problems in the design. First, the direction of the magnetization was wrong. Also I had to make the block of air around the magnet bigger. Also some other small changes had to be made.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.