Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why Comsol can not give me the correct Nu number for the higher Rayleigh number ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone ,

I am working on a 2D Mantle convection model in a square box with constant parameter , where the only value is, i am changing is Rayleigh number . When I put the value Ra=10^4 & 10^5 , Comsol give the 4/5 decimal coorect Nusselt number , but when i switched to 10^6 , it give me the 2 decimal correct Nusselt number , and when Ra=10^7 , it just go high than the benchmark value (Blankenbach et al.)

Physics: 1. creeping flow(p2+p1) & 2. heat transfer in fluids(quadratic)

Mesh : used extra fine mesh for the whole domain and at the boundary i apply (200*200) distribution.

Study: in my study , i use the 10^5 model's solution as initial value then changing the parameter gradually like (210^5 ,410^5....) , then finally get the Nu number , which should be for Ra=10^6 is 21.972465 , but Comsol gives 21.9744.......... and for Ra=10^7 Nu should be 45.62 , where as Comsol give Nu=45.68......

my question is if the model setup is right why for the higher value of Ra, comsol can not give the good results like they did give the nice result for the case of 10^4 & 10^5 ? Do i have to congure the solver configaration , if so how to do that ?

what i am missing ? i hope to hear from you.

0 Replies Last Post 30 apr 2018, 11:24 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Moti Blue

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.