Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to export a deformed shell?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Is there any way to export a bent shell from a structural mechanics simulation? I really need to know how I can do so? Remesh deformed configuration just works for solid and not the shell. Do you have any idea?

Kind regards

2 Replies Last Post 3 mag 2018, 17:42 GMT-4
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 3 mag 2018, 17:17 GMT-4
Updated: 6 years ago 3 mag 2018, 17:18 GMT-4

Shaghayegh-

The remesh deformed configuration option only works on a volumetric mesh so it won't work on the 3D surface mesh (as you've discovered). A workaround here would be to export a 3D plot (with deformation) of your shell analysis as an STL file.

This technique is explained here by Temesgen Kindo (see end of his blog):

www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/

I've used this technique. It works great.

Have fun!

-------------------
Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Shaghayegh- The remesh deformed configuration option only works on a volumetric mesh so it won't work on the 3D surface mesh (as you've discovered). A workaround here would be to export a 3D plot (with deformation) of your shell analysis as an STL file. This technique is explained here by Temesgen Kindo (see end of his blog): www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/ I've used this technique. It works great. Have fun!

Posted: 6 years ago 3 mag 2018, 17:42 GMT-4

Dear Josh,

Thanks a lot! this is exactly what I want! I greatly appreciate your help.

Best wishes, Shaghayegh

Dear Josh, Thanks a lot! this is exactly what I want! I greatly appreciate your help. Best wishes, Shaghayegh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.