Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

timeavg giving nonsensical values when visualizing results

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm having difficulty displaying the plot that I want, and I believe part of it might come from a misunderstanding of how the timeavg() operator works. I simulated a time-dependent PDE on the surface of a sphere for 1000 seconds, saving the output every 10 seconds. At every time, the variable, u, is roughly between the values of 19 and 20. I now plot the expression

timeavg(100, 1000, u)

To my confusion, the resulting plot shows the value ranging between -10 and 40. I can even output the time evolution as a video, and see that the original variable u fluctuates between 19 and 20 on the sphere, but the "time average" somehow ends up having a much wider range. Am I misunderstanding how the operator should work?

I would attach the file in question, but the simulation is rather time-intensive, and hopefully this problem is just a simple matter of confusion on my part.

0 Replies Last Post 4 ott 2018, 19:43 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Henry Shackleton

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.