Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

finer circle resolution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am simulating electrical machines with the .rmm physics and was wondering, if it is somehow possible to get circles/curves with a higher resolution. When I take a close look at my air gap, I can see relatively big corners.
At first I thought this happend somehow because I imported a CAD model. But when I created a new model within the COMSOL GUI, the same problem appears. Or is it maybe just a visual problem?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies Last Post 19 giu 2012, 05:49 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 ago 2011, 12:55 GMT-4
Hi

you have different levels to check / control

1) the CAD generation and CAD import relative error (when importing external CAD geometry)
2) the grapohical rendering of COMSOl only a visual effect, check your preferences
3) the meshing resolution, during the meshing phase

1) is for me the most delicate and easy to forget, 2) is only a visula effect, but can be tricky for surface/line/point graphical selection and for your graphical display bandwidth and 3) is related to your calculations expectations (and time + RAM available)

Hope this helps

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have different levels to check / control 1) the CAD generation and CAD import relative error (when importing external CAD geometry) 2) the grapohical rendering of COMSOl only a visual effect, check your preferences 3) the meshing resolution, during the meshing phase 1) is for me the most delicate and easy to forget, 2) is only a visula effect, but can be tricky for surface/line/point graphical selection and for your graphical display bandwidth and 3) is related to your calculations expectations (and time + RAM available) Hope this helps -- Good luck Ivar

Francesc-Xavier Borras

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 giu 2012, 05:49 GMT-4
Hej,

I had the same problem. The problem comes when applying some Boolean Operation to this circular geometry.

It helped me to decrease the "Relative Repair Tolerance" (default 10e-6) in the option on the specific Boolean Operation (for example to 1e-12).

Hope that helps,

F. Xavier Borras
Hej, I had the same problem. The problem comes when applying some Boolean Operation to this circular geometry. It helped me to decrease the "Relative Repair Tolerance" (default 10e-6) in the option on the specific Boolean Operation (for example to 1e-12). Hope that helps, F. Xavier Borras

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.