Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The second argument of the d() operator must be a variable name.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For two of the models that I'm trying to run I keep getting the following error:

"The second argument of the d() operator must be a variable name."

I do not understand what that means, and I cannot find anywhere how to try and fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

7 Replies Last Post 11 gen 2012, 05:18 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Leanne Nixon

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 dic 2011, 09:37 GMT-5
Hi,
I also have the same problem in 4.2.a version. Any suggestion? I am using structural mechanics module.

Marjan
Hi, I also have the same problem in 4.2.a version. Any suggestion? I am using structural mechanics module. Marjan

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 dic 2011, 10:27 GMT-5
Hi,

Make sure that all differentiation operators in the model have valid variable names as their second argument (the variable that you differentiate with respect to). For example,

d(x*y,x)

is valid but

d(x*y,1) or d(x*y,2*x)

give the error that you report.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Make sure that all differentiation operators in the model have valid variable names as their second argument (the variable that you differentiate with respect to). For example, d(x*y,x) is valid but d(x*y,1) or d(x*y,2*x) give the error that you report. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 dic 2011, 10:48 GMT-5
Hi again,

Thanks for the reply. I solved it by removing the check mark for nearly in-compressible material. I did not have any analytic function that uses d function.

Yours,
Marjan
Hi again, Thanks for the reply. I solved it by removing the check mark for nearly in-compressible material. I did not have any analytic function that uses d function. Yours, Marjan

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 dic 2011, 05:56 GMT-5
Hi, I am just using 4.2a. and wish to know more about it.

When i formulate the hyperelastic material using Mooney Rivlin material,
the same error pop up.

May I know why Mooney Rivlin material will be involve into problem?
as i use Neo hookean material, all the things done smoothly.
Hi, I am just using 4.2a. and wish to know more about it. When i formulate the hyperelastic material using Mooney Rivlin material, the same error pop up. May I know why Mooney Rivlin material will be involve into problem? as i use Neo hookean material, all the things done smoothly.

Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 dic 2011, 06:41 GMT-5
Hi

You should try the update for Comsol 4.2a:
www.comsol.com/support/updates

It solves a specific problem with the structural mechanics module that causes this problem.

--
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Hi You should try the update for Comsol 4.2a: http://www.comsol.com/support/updates It solves a specific problem with the structural mechanics module that causes this problem. -- Lars Gregersen Comsol Denmark

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 dic 2011, 07:00 GMT-5
Dear Lars Gregersen ,

Thank you.
I will try it on monday,as now do not have comsol in my computer.

will update you all information whether i solve it or not.
Dear Lars Gregersen , Thank you. I will try it on monday,as now do not have comsol in my computer. will update you all information whether i solve it or not.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 gen 2012, 05:18 GMT-5
Dear All,

I can confirm that this problem is removed by the Update 2.

Best,
Peter
Dear All, I can confirm that this problem is removed by the Update 2. Best, Peter

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.