Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Isolator layer not isolating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good evening,

I have a model of a thermoelectric generator made of Bi2Te3 and isolated with alumina.

However, the isolator layer doesnt have constant voltage, despite the very low electrical conductivity value being 10 to the power of -20. The temperature profile seems fine.

I have attached the simulation for temperature and voltage.

Where have I made a mistake? How can I fix this?

Happy holidays and thank you in advance

3 Replies Last Post 2 gen 2019, 05:16 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 24 dic 2018, 13:27 GMT-5

Maria,

you observe a potential distribution BECAUSE you are looking at an insulator. If you want to see spatially constant potential you must give the thing higher conductivity. I would say it is correct as it is.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Maria, you observe a potential distribution BECAUSE you are looking at an insulator. If you want to see spatially constant potential you must give the thing higher conductivity. I would say it is correct as it is. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 6 years ago 2 gen 2019, 04:30 GMT-5

Good morning Edgar,

I can't seem to understand why that is. I have increased the conductivy 10^40 times and the distribution remains uneven.

Could you indicate me to any literature where can I read on this phenomenon?

Thank you in advance

Best regards, Maria

Good morning Edgar, I can't seem to understand why that is. I have increased the conductivy 10^40 times and the distribution remains uneven. Could you indicate me to any literature where can I read on this phenomenon? Thank you in advance Best regards, Maria

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2 gen 2019, 05:16 GMT-5

Maria,

yes that is strange. Something else must be wrong in the model. You might consider to upload the model here or turn to the Comsol support. Unfortunately I won't be able to do much because we don't have the semiconductor module.

Cheers and HNY, Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Maria, yes that is strange. Something else must be wrong in the model. You might consider to upload the model here or turn to the Comsol support. Unfortunately I won't be able to do much because we don't have the semiconductor module. Cheers and HNY, Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.