Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

beam end release - hinge Beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I use BEAM finite elements. I would like to connect two or more BEAMs through an internal hinge, is it possible?

In other software you can do it via the beam end release.

4 Replies Last Post 28 giu 2019, 14:51 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 28 giu 2019, 02:32 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 28 giu 2019, 02:32 GMT-4

Hi Enrico,

In the upcoming version 5.5, there will be a 'beam end release' feature in the Beam interface. Until then, you can for example use one of the following methods:

1. If you have access to the Multibody Dynamics module, use a Hinge Joint.
  2. You can separate the two ends to be hinged, either by using Form Assembly, or by moving them apart by a small distance. Then you put one Rigid Connector at the end of each beam, and couple them as in the example https://www.comsol.com/model/assembly-with-a-hinge-10569
  3. You can use two separate Beam interfaces, and set the appropriate degrees of freedom equal at the hinge (by a Prescribed Displacement/Rotation in one of the interfaces).

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Enrico, In the upcoming version 5.5, there will be a 'beam end release' feature in the Beam interface. Until then, you can for example use one of the following methods: 1. If you have access to the Multibody Dynamics module, use a Hinge Joint. 2. You can separate the two ends to be hinged, either by using Form Assembly, or by moving them apart by a small distance. Then you put one Rigid Connector at the end of each beam, and couple them as in the example 3. You can use two separate Beam interfaces, and set the appropriate degrees of freedom equal at the hinge (by a Prescribed Displacement/Rotation in one of the interfaces). Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago 28 giu 2019, 05:24 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 28 giu 2019, 05:24 GMT-4

Hi Henrik Sönnerlind. Thankyou for your reply.

I don't have the Multibody Dynamics module. I can use method number 3. How can I impose a fixed relative displacement and the mobile absolute displacement (typical of the internal hinge)?

Hi Henrik Sönnerlind. Thankyou for your reply. I don't have the Multibody Dynamics module. I can use method number 3. How can I impose a fixed relative displacement and the mobile absolute displacement (typical of the internal hinge)?

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 28 giu 2019, 09:56 GMT-4

Hi Enrico,

I am not sure that I interpret your question correctly, but in the attached screenshot is how I would set up a model with a hinge around the z-axis. The Prescribed Displacement/Rotation node is present in the second Beam interface (beam2), so the values of (five of) the DOFs are ( at the common point) set to be equal to the corresponding DOFs in the first beam interface.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Enrico, I am not sure that I interpret your question correctly, but in the attached screenshot is how I would set up a model with a hinge around the z-axis. The Prescribed Displacement/Rotation node is present in the second Beam interface (beam2), so the values of (five of) the DOFs are ( at the common point) set to be equal to the corresponding DOFs in the first beam interface. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago 28 giu 2019, 14:51 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 28 giu 2019, 14:51 GMT-4

Thanks.

Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.