Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Wrinkling and Core Crushing Failure for Sandwich Composite

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have been trying to simulate wrinkling and core failure under compressive loading and 3-point/4-point bending conditions. I guess, failed because of boundary conditions every time. Maybe anyone wants to help me about this problem. My analysis setup below,

100x20 mm beam structure (long edge of beam along the x-direction and short edge along y-direction)

Geometry consist of 3 parts (bottom layer is surface as 3-layer CFRP-total thickness:0.375mm, middle layer is solid body as foam/honeycomb material-total thickness: 5mm, top layer is same bottom layer)

Short edge 'displacement conditions' x=y=z=0 for all face sheet and core

other short edge same conditions except top facesheet, this edge for free along the x-direction, line pressure loading on this edge and it will be 90 N/mm.

Both of long edges of facesheets and core faces free for x-direction (loading direction) and y=z=0 displacement.

all of them it's like that. But I never visualize the exact wrinkling and core failure types.

P.s. :This boundary conditions and loading type for compressive loading. Yet I didn't prepare a simulation setup for 3-point or 4-point bending conditions, but I'm open to any suggestions.

0 Replies Last Post 21 lug 2019, 10:51 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Emre Gungor

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.