Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pressure distribution problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model the flow of an ice deposit on top of a fixed rocky unit using solid mechanics creep (attached). The pressure distribution in the ice looks wrong to me. There a hump in the pressure along the bottom, where I would expect the pressure to be uniform (except at the left end, where the height falls off). There's also negative pressure along the top, which implies the domain is going through extensional stresses in the vertical direction, which isn't expected. Why might this be happening?

1 Reply Last Post 15 mar 2020, 16:20 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 15 mar 2020, 16:20 GMT-4

Hi Claire,

The negative pressure at the top does not imply anything about sign of the vertical stress. In this case, the stresses in the two other directions are positive.

solid.pm = -(solid.sx+solid.sy+solid.sz)/3

The 'hump' cannot be directly understood without analyzing the constituent stress components.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Claire, The negative pressure at the top does not imply anything about sign of the vertical stress. In this case, the stresses in the two other directions are positive. solid.pm = -(solid.sx+solid.sy+solid.sz)/3 The 'hump' cannot be directly understood without analyzing the constituent stress components.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.