Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to copy mesh due to different number of elements, but the number of elements are the exact same

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to create a periodic mesh on a stochastically generated geometry contained within a cubical domain. To ensure that the mesh is periodic I do the meshing step by step by first meshing three orthogonal edges and copying them to all parallell edges. I then mesh every surface and copy it to its adjacent surface. Then fill in the geometry with free tetrahedrals.

For almost all my geometries, the meshing fails when I'm trying to copy the surface meshes. Some copying operations will fail due to "Different number of elements on edges". I don't understand why. COMSOL highlights which edge is failing and I've tried both making the element size finer, and specifying the number of elements. Outright counting the number of elements by eye also indicates that the number of elements should be the same. So why is COMSOL giving me this error?

3 Replies Last Post 15 set 2020, 01:01 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 19 mar 2020, 09:46 GMT-4

Hi Daniel,

If you attach a simple example, chances that you get an answer will increase tremendously.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Daniel, If you attach a simple example, chances that you get an answer will increase tremendously.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 19 mar 2020, 11:16 GMT-4

Consider first meshing one face, and then copying it to the opposite (not adjacent) face. Then do likewise with each of the other opposing pairs of faces. I bet that will work.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Consider first meshing one face, and then copying it to the opposite (not adjacent) face. Then do likewise with each of the other opposing pairs of faces. I bet that will work.

Posted: 4 years ago 15 set 2020, 01:01 GMT-4

You should copy one by one from 1 edge to 1 edge, do not copy from 1 edge to many edges.

-------------------
Phan
You should copy one by one from 1 edge to 1 edge, do not copy from 1 edge to many edges.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.