Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drawing a repeated diamond pattern?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to make a model in which a repeated diamond pattern is cut out of an object. Basically a 3D rectangle with diamond shaped pores, the long axis of the diamonds being parallel to the length of the rectangle. I think this is done with an array? Does anyone know how to make this model?

Thank you for any help

TC

2 Replies Last Post 23 set 2016, 17:47 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 gen 2012, 01:57 GMT-5
Hi

in the COMSOL geometry mode you have the "copy" command, instead of just typing in 1,1,1 for x,y,z, type in:

range(0,1,3) range(0,1,3) range(0,1,3) for x,y,z or
0 1 2 3 for each x,y,z

then you will get the original one at 0,0,0 and 3 copies at 1,1,1. 2,2,2 3,3,3

I hope I'm clear ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in the COMSOL geometry mode you have the "copy" command, instead of just typing in 1,1,1 for x,y,z, type in: range(0,1,3) range(0,1,3) range(0,1,3) for x,y,z or 0 1 2 3 for each x,y,z then you will get the original one at 0,0,0 and 3 copies at 1,1,1. 2,2,2 3,3,3 I hope I'm clear ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 23 set 2016, 17:47 GMT-4
That makes sense. I have a similar question, but it brings up different challenges. How would you make "infinitely long" patterns? For example consider the following scenario. If I had two cylinders of different diameters (S-small and L-large) that are stacked end-to-end, how would I repeat the pattern in the z-direction? The scheme would look something like:

r-dir
^
| ... S-L-S-L-S-L-S-L-S-L-S-L ...
- - - - - - ->
z-dir

Obviously, I could create many many duplicated features to achieve a similar result, but this is very inefficient. The goal is to avoid edge effects.

Thanks!
Caleb
That makes sense. I have a similar question, but it brings up different challenges. How would you make "infinitely long" patterns? For example consider the following scenario. If I had two cylinders of different diameters (S-small and L-large) that are stacked end-to-end, how would I repeat the pattern in the z-direction? The scheme would look something like: r-dir ^ | ... S-L-S-L-S-L-S-L-S-L-S-L ... - - - - - - -> z-dir Obviously, I could create many many duplicated features to achieve a similar result, but this is very inefficient. The goal is to avoid edge effects. Thanks! Caleb

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.