Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Which numerical methods are used by the solver?

Carles Guillén Almiñana

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am using COMSOL 5.4 for simulating a magnetic colloidal solution and I am interested in knowing which numerical methods it is using to solve the differential equations. Is there any way to check this from the comsol desktop or there is a default method that I can find somewhere else? I have been looking for this but I haven't found anything yet.

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies Last Post 15 apr 2020, 11:08 GMT-4

Posted: 4 years ago 14 apr 2020, 14:26 GMT-4

Hello,

Comsol is a finite element method software, so it uses FEM to numerically solve the differential equations. Not sure if this answers your question, but feel free to clarify if not.

Cheers,

Alex

Hello, Comsol is a finite element method software, so it uses FEM to numerically solve the differential equations. Not sure if this answers your question, but feel free to clarify if not. Cheers, Alex

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 14 apr 2020, 14:40 GMT-4

Alexandre,

That is a misconception. COMSOL uses various numerical methods, not solely FEM, see for instance this discussion.

Without knowing what physics interfaces Carles's model uses, you can't answer his question with complete certainty.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Alexandre, That is a misconception. COMSOL uses various numerical methods, not solely FEM, see for instance [this discussion](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/45905/does-comsol-utilize-fem-or-fdm-or-both?last=2014-07-07T16:51:39Z). Without knowing what physics interfaces Carles's model uses, you can't answer his question with complete certainty. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 4 years ago 15 apr 2020, 11:08 GMT-4

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the clarification, I did not know that!

Best,

Alex

Hi Jeff, Thank you for the clarification, I did not know that! Best, Alex

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.