Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with mesh building for a simple 2D geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was working on a model that couples the physics module Phase transport in porous media and Darcy's Law together. In Comsol Application Gallery, there's an example ' Wicking in a paper strip' where the width is constant. I was trying to study the 2D effect of this process, so I changed the geometry. But there's always error occurs, I'm wondering if it's the problem with my mesh.

I've attached two screenshots, one is the example from Comsol (paper strip), the other one is the mesh I built. Could anyone take a look and let me know whether this mesh looks appropriate?

Thanks a lot.

Jing

1 Reply Last Post 25 apr 2020, 21:57 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 25 apr 2020, 21:57 GMT-4

Anyone can give me any idea about this? should I use free triangular mesh instead of mapped mesh at the area where the width suddenly changed?

In the 1D paper strip example Comsol provided, the element ratio is 1000, so the mesh at the bottom is very small, and it runs good. Now my 2D model just gets unconverged at the point where the liquid rises to the larger-width pad. If I make the element ratio larger for the pad ( make the mesh on the bottom of the pad smaller), it gets unconverged at the start.

Thanks for any advice.

Anyone can give me any idea about this? should I use free triangular mesh instead of mapped mesh at the area where the width suddenly changed? In the 1D paper strip example Comsol provided, the element ratio is 1000, so the mesh at the bottom is very small, and it runs good. Now my 2D model just gets unconverged at the point where the liquid rises to the larger-width pad. If I make the element ratio larger for the pad ( make the mesh on the bottom of the pad smaller), it gets unconverged at the start. Thanks for any advice.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.