Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Color Legend

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I have a question about color legends for 3D plots.
I have two system that I want to compare and each of them simulated separately. Now that i want to compare them i found out that they have different ranges for one color (for example green color represent 8000-9000 in one and 5000-6000 in another). Is there any way that i can make these legends similar? or is there any other suggestions for comparing 3d plots?

Best
Bahar

9 Replies Last Post 28 dic 2016, 17:00 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 10:05 GMT-5
Hi

you have in the plot sub node a "Inherite style" tab some means to couple scale color etc with other plots

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have in the plot sub node a "Inherite style" tab some means to couple scale color etc with other plots -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 10:26 GMT-5
Hi Ivar

Thanks for your reply. I checked the option but there is not anything in the plot section (Where i can choose other plots). it stick to "None" and I can not change this.

And another question is that, if i can use this option this will only makes the legends for plots in one simulation similar to each other, right? What if i have my system (with a bit of change in one parameter) in two different simulation files. Will that still work?

Best
Bahar
Hi Ivar Thanks for your reply. I checked the option but there is not anything in the plot section (Where i can choose other plots). it stick to "None" and I can not change this. And another question is that, if i can use this option this will only makes the legends for plots in one simulation similar to each other, right? What if i have my system (with a bit of change in one parameter) in two different simulation files. Will that still work? Best Bahar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 10:40 GMT-5
Right now I find out that if all the slices are located under one 3D plot group i can use this option (inherit style).
However, since two systems that i want to compare are in two separate files i can not use this method.
It is somehow weird!! because comparing two systems is a basic thing that one might want to do with a software!!

Right now I find out that if all the slices are located under one 3D plot group i can use this option (inherit style). However, since two systems that i want to compare are in two separate files i can not use this method. It is somehow weird!! because comparing two systems is a basic thing that one might want to do with a software!!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 10:52 GMT-5
Hi

I havent tried it out, but there are some new funtionalities in the data set region, to combine different data sets etc, perhaps there is something as load from other file ?
Sorry its's too new for me havnt used it, and I seldom compare results from two files on the same graph, so far (except via Excel ;) but I would be interested to hear how it works

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I havent tried it out, but there are some new funtionalities in the data set region, to combine different data sets etc, perhaps there is something as load from other file ? Sorry its's too new for me havnt used it, and I seldom compare results from two files on the same graph, so far (except via Excel ;) but I would be interested to hear how it works -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 11:04 GMT-5
Bahar,

you can set manual ranges for your plots. Wouldn't it do the job to set equal ranges for all your models? You may see white spots on the slices in case certain values close to the limits are not reached by one or the other plot.

Cheers
Edgar
Bahar, you can set manual ranges for your plots. Wouldn't it do the job to set equal ranges for all your models? You may see white spots on the slices in case certain values close to the limits are not reached by one or the other plot. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 11:08 GMT-5
Hi Edgar

If I can choose ranges manually, that will solve my problem but i can not find any option in plot section! There are ranges for plotting lines, but for 3D plot (plotting using color code on slides) There is no setting to choose the range of color legend!

Hi Edgar If I can choose ranges manually, that will solve my problem but i can not find any option in plot section! There are ranges for plotting lines, but for 3D plot (plotting using color code on slides) There is no setting to choose the range of color legend!

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 11:16 GMT-5
Hi Bahar,

click on the slice or multislice in the 3D plot group and you will find a range tab in the settings window. For me it is the fourth tab from top: I have Expressions - Title - Plane data - Ranges.

Maybe I should add: You must select the slice in the model builder window, not in the graphical plot window.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi Bahar, click on the slice or multislice in the 3D plot group and you will find a range tab in the settings window. For me it is the fourth tab from top: I have Expressions - Title - Plane data - Ranges. Maybe I should add: You must select the slice in the model builder window, not in the graphical plot window. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2012, 13:04 GMT-5
Dear Edgar

I appreciate your reply. That's exactly what i was looking for. I remembered I checked the range section before and it was inactive. But now that i checked it again after reading your comment, it's there, active!
Thanks a lot

Bahar
Dear Edgar I appreciate your reply. That's exactly what i was looking for. I remembered I checked the range section before and it was inactive. But now that i checked it again after reading your comment, it's there, active! Thanks a lot Bahar

Posted: 8 years ago 28 dic 2016, 17:00 GMT-5
Hi I have Magnetic Flux plots for 4 different files. Each of them have different ranges from to max. The maximum of of all 4 plots is 0.7T . I want to make all plots have range from 0 to 0.7T. How exactly I can overcome this thing ?
It's a 2D Model with Magnetic Flux as Surface plot
Hi I have Magnetic Flux plots for 4 different files. Each of them have different ranges from to max. The maximum of of all 4 plots is 0.7T . I want to make all plots have range from 0 to 0.7T. How exactly I can overcome this thing ? It's a 2D Model with Magnetic Flux as Surface plot

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.