Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating-Wave Electromagnetic

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi would I like to know if there is an example simulated a Rotating-Wave Electromagnetic?

Thank you.

4 Replies Last Post 12 mag 2020, 23:57 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 5 mag 2020, 22:15 GMT-4

To clarify: by "rotating-wave electromagnetic," do you mean a circularly-polarized electromagnetic wave?

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
To clarify: by "rotating-wave electromagnetic," do you mean a circularly-polarized electromagnetic wave?

Posted: 4 years ago 8 mag 2020, 00:21 GMT-4

yes circularly-polarized electromagnetic wave as is show in the figure.

Could I simulate a cylindrical cavity in 3d with two ports at the bottom of the cavity with this type of wave (figure)?

Thanks for the help.

yes circularly-polarized electromagnetic wave as is show in the figure. Could I simulate a cylindrical cavity in 3d with two ports at the bottom of the cavity with this type of wave (figure)? Thanks for the help.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 8 mag 2020, 14:38 GMT-4

I don't know if Comsol provides an example model. You could look though the RF-module library files. Regardless, you can launch user-defined waves via either ports with "user-defined" fields or with scattering BCs with user-defined fields. You'll have to enter the field expressions yourself. If you find it confusing, start with simpler expressions and watch how they behave in the model. Make sure you can launch plane waves, for example. (And bear in mind that a circularly polarized wave can be written as a superposition of two linearly polarized waves with the same k-vector, but with orthogonal E vectors, and where one of them lags the other by 90 deg in phase.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I don't know if Comsol provides an example model. You could look though the RF-module library files. Regardless, you can launch user-defined waves via either ports with "user-defined" fields or with scattering BCs with user-defined fields. You'll have to enter the field expressions yourself. If you find it confusing, start with simpler expressions and watch how they behave in the model. Make sure you can launch plane waves, for example. (And bear in mind that a circularly polarized wave can be written as a superposition of two linearly polarized waves with the same k-vector, but with orthogonal E vectors, and where one of them lags the other by 90 deg in phase.

Posted: 4 years ago 12 mag 2020, 23:57 GMT-4

Thanks

Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.