Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL can't model hypersonic flow (M>4)?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I tried to model a hypersonic (M=8) problem in COMSOL - a blunted wedge. I started to get probelms with a low stagnation velocity and results that strongly disagreed with other CFD codes. I was ultimately told by COMSOL tech support that the code can't do hypersonic flow - the available turbelence models cannot handly that regime:

"the available turbulence models in COMSOL in "hmnf" interface would not lead to accurate resolution of phenomenon occuring near wall in hypersonic regime, specifically shock-boundary layer interaction."

Has anyone had any success in the hypersonic regime with COMSOL? I think it's unfortunate it can't do these problems.

1 Reply Last Post 28 mag 2020, 22:30 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 28 mag 2020, 22:30 GMT-4

Correction to my previous post. I meant "low stagnation temperature". Meaning, lower than the theoretical value computed with the mach number.

Correction to my previous post. I meant "low stagnation temperature". Meaning, lower than the theoretical value computed with the mach number.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.