Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

sputtering simulation(hot topic)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

had anyone done a simulation on sputtering?...mainly the magnetron sputtering?....any idea how do i start?....thanks

6 Replies Last Post 10 dic 2015, 08:08 GMT-5
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 feb 2012, 09:01 GMT-5
Hi, it is not really possible to model a magnetron in COMSOL. This is because COMSOL uses a fluid model for the transport of electrons and ions. The ratio of the parallel field to cross field to electron mobility is very high, 10^8 or higher. Fluid models can't really handle such extreme anisotropy. Therefore, I don't think it will be possible to model a magnetron using COMSOL.
Hi, it is not really possible to model a magnetron in COMSOL. This is because COMSOL uses a fluid model for the transport of electrons and ions. The ratio of the parallel field to cross field to electron mobility is very high, 10^8 or higher. Fluid models can't really handle such extreme anisotropy. Therefore, I don't think it will be possible to model a magnetron using COMSOL.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 feb 2012, 09:31 GMT-5
Daniel,

so the magnetic confinement of electrons is one difficulty in this case. But let's assume we look at a sputtering process that is not magnetically enhanced.
How would we approach the sputtering process itself, i.e. a fast ion crashing onto the cathode and kicking out atoms, molecules or clusters?

Could this be done by COMSOL some way? Or are we restricted to just modeling the discharge.

Cheers
Edgar

Daniel, so the magnetic confinement of electrons is one difficulty in this case. But let's assume we look at a sputtering process that is not magnetically enhanced. How would we approach the sputtering process itself, i.e. a fast ion crashing onto the cathode and kicking out atoms, molecules or clusters? Could this be done by COMSOL some way? Or are we restricted to just modeling the discharge. Cheers Edgar

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 feb 2012, 08:57 GMT-5
Hi, you can model the sputtering process without the magnetic enhancement by supplying an appropriate surface chemical mechanism. This model does this for a deposition process:

www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/9663/

Sputtering would be the opposite, in the sense that material is being removed from the surface rather than deposited, but the model could be set up in the same way.
Hi, you can model the sputtering process without the magnetic enhancement by supplying an appropriate surface chemical mechanism. This model does this for a deposition process: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/9663/ Sputtering would be the opposite, in the sense that material is being removed from the surface rather than deposited, but the model could be set up in the same way.

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 feb 2012, 22:49 GMT-5
Hi.

So it seems only CVD kind of process is possible to perform the simulation....all i want to observe is the sputtering uniformity on the target, which i understand is highly dependent on strength and shape of the field. Is there any other alternative?

Sorry i am new in this field.
Hi. So it seems only CVD kind of process is possible to perform the simulation....all i want to observe is the sputtering uniformity on the target, which i understand is highly dependent on strength and shape of the field. Is there any other alternative? Sorry i am new in this field.

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 feb 2012, 02:24 GMT-5
Just wanna add....i am very excited about this simulation :)

Correct me if i'm wrong..but from my understanding using the built in function in comsol we can obtain the density and energy of electrons in mag. field....(thinking about Lorentz, Hall effect and Larmor radius)...thus energy of ions formed to the target can be predicted...

Using Yamamura or Sigmund equation we can obtain the sputtering yield...and their trajectory for deposition.

Or it is not as easy as it seems?...
Just wanna add....i am very excited about this simulation :) Correct me if i'm wrong..but from my understanding using the built in function in comsol we can obtain the density and energy of electrons in mag. field....(thinking about Lorentz, Hall effect and Larmor radius)...thus energy of ions formed to the target can be predicted... Using Yamamura or Sigmund equation we can obtain the sputtering yield...and their trajectory for deposition. Or it is not as easy as it seems?...

Posted: 9 years ago 10 dic 2015, 08:08 GMT-5
Hello,

any update on this topic?

I feel we need also some more stringent formulation of secondary electrons in the normal DC plasma?

greetings from germany
lukas
Hello, any update on this topic? I feel we need also some more stringent formulation of secondary electrons in the normal DC plasma? greetings from germany lukas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.