Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining and simulating heat transfer from external PCB design

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

First of all I am very new to COMSOL in learning phase (aligned to the learning phase of thermal propagation)

I am trying to see if I can simulate an active antenna I've designed using CST. I was able to import the design using a .stp file. The idea was to simulate something like this. However, in this webinar everything is already defined and so I have no clue on how to define my materials (copper, RO4003B and so on). Even more, for my chip I'd have a dissipated power and a thermal resistance. To my knowledge this is not suited for COMSOL as it uses a more complex model, so I thought in triend a Heat rate simulation using the dissipated power as value. But then again it it requires me to define my materials and so on. Can someone indicate me a way to properly describe each material of each element I've?

Here you can see an image of the import properly working.

1 Reply Last Post 9 giu 2020, 13:56 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 9 giu 2020, 13:56 GMT-4

It's a bit complicated. I am not new to Comsol, having used it for approaching 20 years, and yet I am also still in the "learning phase!" I suggest you work through some of the library examples in detail, building the models piece by piece for yourself (following the .pdfs, don't just load them already-made for you) and specifying every little feature and setting, one by one, and studying what they do, as you change the settings. It's slow, it's tiring, and it's an effective way to learn. The best way to make material specifications is not intuitively obvious. There are connections to the physics you choose! This will take work to understand.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
It's a bit complicated. I am *not* new to Comsol, having used it for approaching 20 years, and yet I am also still in the "learning phase!" I suggest you work through some of the library examples in detail, building the models piece by piece for yourself (following the .pdfs, don't just load them already-made for you) and specifying every little feature and setting, one by one, and studying what they do, as you change the settings. It's slow, it's tiring, and it's an effective way to learn. The best way to make material specifications is *not* intuitively obvious. There are connections to the *physics* you choose! This will take work to understand.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.