Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to scale one axis of a 2D plot?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have model regions which are very thin and long and have strong complex gradients along the shorter side.

How can I scale one of the two axes of a 2D plot (see illustrations attached)?

Opposite to a 1D plot (a curve y = f(x)), where any axis can be easily squized or expanded, the axes of a 2D plot (for example, field as a function of (x,y)) are always shown in the actual scale, equal for both axes. I have tried slices of 3D plots, 2D plots on various options of "Datasets", etc., but none of them worked in the way I want.

It would be very strange if COMSOL cannot do such a simple thing. Now I have to export and plot in an external software every single field distribution just to be able to see the solution result.

4 Replies Last Post 15 ott 2020, 07:32 GMT-4
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 15 ott 2020, 02:07 GMT-4

You can change view scaling: In the 2D plot group, there's a View list. Click on the Go to Source button to the right of the list. This takes you to the view that's used. Select the view's Axis subnode. It has a View scale setting, which defaults to None. Set View scale=Manual and enter the scale factors that you want to use.

You can change view scaling: In the 2D plot group, there's a View list. Click on the Go to Source button to the right of the list. This takes you to the view that's used. Select the view's Axis subnode. It has a View scale setting, which defaults to None. Set View scale=Manual and enter the scale factors that you want to use.

Posted: 4 years ago 15 ott 2020, 03:20 GMT-4

It works, thank you! Do you know if anything similar is possible in 3D?

>You can change view scaling: In the 2D plot group, there's a View list. Click on the Go to Source button to the right of the list. This takes you to the view that's used. Select the view's Axis subnode. It has a View scale setting, which defaults to None. Set View scale=Manual and enter the scale factors that you want to use. It works, thank you! Do you know if anything similar is possible in 3D?

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 15 ott 2020, 03:23 GMT-4

It works, thank you! Do you know if anything similar is possible in 3D?

Yes, in 3D you can achieve the same effect in the View > Camera node, which contains the same View scale options.

>It works, thank you! Do you know if anything similar is possible in 3D? Yes, in 3D you can achieve the same effect in the View > Camera node, which contains the same View scale options.

Posted: 4 years ago 15 ott 2020, 07:32 GMT-4

Great, thanks!

Great, thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.