Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to make some changes to what already exists, the "Dipole Antenna" module in "Application Libraries" of COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hellos dears,

I'm a beginner with COMSOL, and I did some changes on the "Dipole Antenna" Module to fit my project. I need a help for these points please:

1- How to let the dipole antenna radiate at any frequency rather than what is related to the wavelngth (as frequency=c_const/lambda0). In my project, I hope to study antenna radiation at a wide range of frequencies.

2- When I COMPUTE, the result of the antenna radiation is only on a certain plane (zx plane). BUT, I hope to see the radiation at every point in space around the antenna.

3- In my project, I put a certain object near the antenna in space to study its behavior toward the antenna radiation. When I COMPUTE, I can't see the object, I just see the antenna radition for 3D Far Field. What I can do?!

4- In my project, in LUMPED PORT, the field "Wave Excitation at this port" is not active; where I want to change the the value of Vin; How to activate it?

I appreciate each hint and help.

My deep thanks in advance!

2 Replies Last Post 10 dic 2020, 17:05 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 10 dic 2020, 16:36 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 11 dic 2020, 17:44 GMT-5

In response to your particular numbered questions: 1. You can set the frequency (or a range of frequencies) under Study --> Step: Frequency Domain. 2. You need to get more familiar with the basic tools for working with and creating plots. Work through some of the provided tutorials from beginning to end (they don't have to be about antennas). There are many, many kinds of plots and combinations of them that you can make. 3. No object you create/define will exist infinitely far away, which is where the "far field" actually is, mathematically speaking. You can always compute local fields and observe their interactions with local objects, within the computational space. Or, if you prefer, you can define general background waves (e.g., plane waves) using the "scattered field" formulation, and see how they interact with objects. 4. Not sure about what is happening with your lumped port without seeing your actual model. In the Comsol application library example, you can simply change it from on to off or back on, via clicking on the pull down box under "Wave excitation at this port:"

Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
In response to your particular numbered questions: 1. You can set the frequency (or a range of frequencies) under Study --> Step: Frequency Domain. 2. You need to get more familiar with the basic tools for working with and creating plots. Work through some of the provided tutorials from beginning to end (they don't have to be about antennas). There are many, many kinds of plots and combinations of them that you can make. 3. No object you create/define will exist *infinitely far away*, which is where the "far field" actually *is*, mathematically speaking. You can always compute local fields and observe their interactions with local objects, within the computational space. Or, if you prefer, you can define general background waves (e.g., plane waves) using the "scattered field" formulation, and see how they interact with objects. 4. Not sure about what is happening with your lumped port without seeing your actual model. In the Comsol application library example, you can simply change it from on to off or back on, via clicking on the pull down box under "Wave excitation at this port:" Good luck.

Posted: 4 years ago 10 dic 2020, 17:05 GMT-5

Many thanks dear Koslover for your continous kindness and support toward me. I'll apply each point you advised with in my COMSOL project.

Have a good day!

Many thanks dear Koslover for your continous kindness and support toward me. I'll apply each point you advised with in my COMSOL project. Have a good day!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.